Chapter 6

When my mom came home from her long weekend, she came home with a "bonus check " and gifts for all of us. Apparently somebody liked her " work" and decided to buy all her "products" and her " Coworkers " were so jealous of her.

Whatever. My brothers and sisters might be gullible but I am not. Her product must be her body because ain't nobody giving my mother a $5,000 bonus.

I also got in trouble for going to my dad for money.She said if i actually read the note she left for me, I would have known there was money in the cookie Jar and coupons for groceries. Eventually, she got over it.

Anyway, Tomorrow is the day, I turn sixteen. It's also the day of my first volleyball game. I really want my dad to be at my game. He's really into sports so I was thinking he might come.

It's bad enough that barely even get to see my dad. Every single time ask mom about me seeing dad she just blows up.

"Mom?" I called walking down the stairs to the living room.

"Yes, baby" She answered.

" Can I use your phone to call my dad? The house Phone isn't working."

Mom wouldn't let me have a cell phone. She claims we don't have the money to get me one, but I bet all the money goes to her partying.

"No" she answered coldly.

"Why not?' I asked raising my voice with attitude.

" Because I said no"

This was always my mother's answer to everything. It always made think she never had a reason for anything, she just wants to control.

"Why you calling him for anyway? "Mom added as she grimaced of the mention of my father.

" Because of my game, mom. Remember? Besides he's my dad, don't I have a right to call MY dad?" I said getting frustrated.

"Look I can already tell you that your dad is not going to your game. So you can just forget about it." Mom said as she picked up Jace from his play pin.

"How would you know?"  I snapped following her into the kitchen.

" Because I know your father, He barely even take care or even see his other kids, What makes you think he'll do right by you?" she fumed.

" Well maybe if you let me see him, he will have a reason to" I shot back. She stared me down if she wanted to hit me. I backed away instantly and looked down at my feet.

When it came to attitude and arguing, my mom and I are just alike. We get that same glint in our eye when we are frustrated. Our noses flare when we are angry. I can't help to forget what roles I played in debating with my mother.

" Go ahead, call him" She said while grabbing her cell from the counter and handing it me without breaking her stare.

I turned to leave and sighed with relief.

"Adrienne?" She called in her motherly voice. I turned back and faced her.

"If you ever talk back to me like that again it's going to be me and you. Do you understand me?" she said sternly.

"yes mam" I said quickly.

***

The next morning, I was refreshed from a goodnight sleep and was ready for my sixteenth birthday to fulfill my day. I went down the back stairs to the kitchen expecting a lot of happy birthdays coming my way but all I got was...

"Good morning" from my brother, insults from my brothers and complaining about my outfit from Charity.

"Mom, what's today? I asked trying to give her a hint.