✾𝟭𝟴✾

Days after days, Tanjiro would always try to cut the boulder open, every day he would train with y/n, descending to the mountains, practicing breathing techniques, and practiced their flexibility

Days after days, Tanjiro would always try to cut the boulder open, every day he would train with y/n, descending to the mountains, practicing breathing techniques, and practiced their flexibility. It was a very brutal journey, their legs felt as if they were about to give up, their arms felt as if they were going to fall off, it was painful. Tanjiro's hands were scarred as Y/n would faint every time she practiced her breathing forms. 

Tanjiro slammed his forehead on the boulder. "Keep working, Tanjiro! You can do it!" Tanjiro cried out loudly. Y/n grabbed his shoulders harshly. "It won't work with just hurting yourself," she said sternly. "Tanjiro, don't force yourself if you're tired," Y/n said breathlessly, looking at Tanjiro with worry in her eyes. 

"She's right," a voice stated. Tanjiro and Y/n looked up to see a man with coral-colored hair and a mask, sitting on top of the boulder. "A man shouldn't whine. It's unseemly," the man said. 

"No matter how you suffer, bear it in silence... if you're a man, if you call yourself a man," he continued, jumping off the boulder, he flipped in the air as he raised his wooden sword and clashed it with Tanjiro's iron sword before he kicked Tanjiro with his leg, he twirled in the air before landing on the ground gracefully. 

Y/n stared at the man in front of her. His kimono reminded her of Giyu's mismatched haori. "Slow. Weak. Immature. That's not what you call a man," he stated. Y/n looked at the figure in front of her, her cheeks burned slightly. 

"What are you doing?" Tanjiro asked. "I'd like to know what you're doing," the man shot back. "What do you mean? I'm training." Tanjiro asked in a confused tone. 

"How long do you plan to keep your butt on the ground without even taking a stance?" the man asked. Y/n slowly walked away from the scene, she sighed as she kicked some dirt away. "Where are you going?" a feminine voice asked. 

Y/n turned around to see a petite girl. She had charcoal hair which was down over her shoulders, with cerulean eyes and a floral yukata and raisin-colored haori tied with a paler piece of fabric tied around her waist. She walked gently towards the other girl. "My name is Makomo, pleasure to meet you, y/n," Makomo said with a small smile.

Y/n looked at Makomo's cerulean eyes with wonder. "You look... cute," Y/n blurted out. Makomo was taken aback before she grinned. "Why, thank you," Makomo said calmly. "I saw that you're struggling with cutting the boulder open," Makomo stated. Y/n's eyes widened. 

Is she a stalker? "Er--yes, yes I am," Y/n started hesitantly. "I'll help you train, y/n," Makomo said with a grin. Y/n eyed Makomo suspiciously. Makomo blinked. "Is there.. is there something wrong?" Makomo asked. "No... nothing," Y/n said before she lowered down her guards. It's alright, it's okay, I'm sure Makomo is trustworthy, she thought.  

Since that day, Makomo had been telling y/n how to hold her sword properly, practicing her breathing forms on the boulder over and over again. Makomo and y/n also had a training fight, Makomo was oddly strong even if she was short, every--single---day-- Y/n would always train herself with or without Makomo. Tanjiro on the other hand was always getting his butt kicked by a man called 'Sabito'. 

Makomo swung her wooden sword at Y/n as Y/n held her sword with her iron sword. Makomo was surprised for a second before she felt being pinned down on the ground, Y/n's hand as on the right empty place beside Makomo's head as she held her iron sword, pointed on Makomo's neck. 

Makomo looked up at y/n with a grin as y/n got off of her and helped her up. "You did very well today, I'm surprised," Makomo said in a soft tone. Y/n looked at her eyes. "Thanks, Makomo," she said. "Again," Makomo prepared a stance, adjusting her fox mask, as Y/n took a deep breath, her hair stood up. Speaking of y/n's hair, her hair has grown to its normal length! She let out a battle cry, a year of training with or without Makomo, she had gotten stronger, faster, and talented. She swung her iron sword before Makomo could even react. Makomo's fox mask split into two as it fell towards the ground. Her face was in a shocked expression, her royal blue eyes widened before she closed her eyes and glanced at Y/n softly with a grin. 

"You did well, Y/n," Makomo said as the mist started to rise, and she was gone. Y/n looked at the boulder she cut as she flinched. "I-.. I did it!" Y/n cried happily before dropping down on her knees and started crying in happiness. After months of practice, she finally did it.  

Tanjiro looked at Y/n in amazement. "Y/n! You're so strong and amazing," Tanjiro smiled. "I couldn't do it without Makomo-chan," Y/n said softly. "We should tell go and tell Urokodaki!" Tanjiro exclaimed as he grabbed her hand and dragged her away excitedly. "Hey! We haven't finished yet!" Sabito yelled. 

Tanjiro dragged her to Urokodaki excitedly as y/n giggled. They went inside the hut as Urokodaki turned his head to the door. "Grandpa!" Y/n said excitedly. Uroodaki stared at her. "She cut the boulder you ask her to cut!" Tanjiro smiled proudly. Urokodaki's shoulders tensed, there was silence. It was quiet, Y/n's smile turned to a frown when Urokodaki didn't react. "Grandpa?" she asked quietly. Tanjiro's smelled sadness and disappointment from Urokodaki. 

Urokodaki just nodded in silence. "Very good," Urokodaki said. Y/n's frown turned to a smile. "I know! Now, I can join the Final Selection, Tanjiro, you better cut that boulder!" Y/n said as she turned to Tanjiro. Tanjiro chuckled. "Yes, I promise," the two were happy except for the old man. Y/n was supposed to fail, and yet, she proved him wrong. He didn't want to see her die, the pain would be unbearable. He didn't want to see any more children dying.