54: ANNABETH

CH 54- ANNABETH

If Annabeth needed any more proof that Icarus was a terrible architect, this was it: The Labyrinth crumbling, witnessing fellow campers being crushed before her own eyes, and not being to do anything but scream for them to cover their heads as she ducked herself.

In a moment of panic, she tried reaching up and holding the ceiling together, kind of like when she held the sky. She yelled at the others to help her, and some did, but it was no use.

Having lived in California for a good part of her life, Annabeth had experience with earthquakes, but none had ever reached the standards of the Labyrinth. She just hoped no one would get too hurt; they had all come too far to be stopped by a bunch of falling rocks.

Debris continued to rain down on them, a particularly large piece dropping on her back, crushing her to the ground. There was so much noise she wasn't sure if she had cried out in pain or not.

Despite all this, all Annabeth could think was, Daedalus would've done a much better job at keeping this place together.

The only thing she could hear through the earthquake was Grover's bleating, strangely enough. Annabeth removed one hand from her head and felt around for Grover's, thinking that if she was going to die now, she didn't want to be alone. Besides, no amount of protection was going to help them now. Their fates were in the hands of, well, the Fates.

Annabeth thought every curse word she knew to pass time, and imagined herself launching those words at Gaea's dirty face (who she was certain was responsible for this earthquake). It was strangely satisfying.

After what felt like years later, Annabeth felt someone shift. She couldn't hear anything through the ringing of her ears. Suddenly she felt big weights being lifted off her. Annabeth hadn't realized she had been biting her tongue this whole time, and now she tasted blood. But maybe it wasn't from her tongue?

Annabeth cracked her eyes open and saw the friendly but grim faces of her friends. They were all covered in dust and cuts and scratches, but she was certain she wasn't in much better shape.

She winced as Clarisse pulled her up. She could feel a huge lump starting to form on her head. She wiped away the blood that was leaking from a wound on her forehead. "You okay, Blondie?"

Annabeth coughed. "I think so. How is everyone else?"

"Some kids found cover in a hole down the tunnel, but there obviously wasn't enough room for all of us. The Roman guys - Frank and Hazel, right? - their group got separated from ours. I think Percy was with them. Anyway, we're trying to dig up everyone, but it isn't easy business. An Apollo kid is dead, we found a few others who were completely knocked out. There's bound to be more," Clarisse said with a grim expression, and Annabeth could tell that much like herself, Clarisse was trying to hide her grief and fear behind her warrior mask.

"That is to be expected, I guess. We'll just have to make do," said Annabeth, trying not to let her fear show. "Where's Grover?"

A low moan came in response, followed by a hand that shot out of the rubble.

"Grover!" Annabeth cried, and Clarisse helped her claw the rocks away.

Grover sucked in a breath when they discovered his face, as if he had been holding his breath this whole time. "Man, and you wonder why I hate being underground so much."

Annabeth sighed in relief and gave him a quick hug as he sat up. "You okay? No broken bones?"

Grover tried moving his hoof, wincing - or rather, bleating - in pain. "I -I'll be fine. I may have twisted my ankle a bit. It's hurting in a place I didn't even know could hurt."