63: PIPER

CH 63- PIPER

Where was Helen?

Piper wove through the crowd, pushing newly-alive demigods out of the way. If all the people Gaea had killed were here, why wasn't Helen.

"She won't come, Piper," said a voice from behind her.

Piper came face to face with her mom.

"Oh. It's you," she said wearily.

Aphrodite smiled wearily. "Such a warm greeting, my sweet. Though I wasn't expecting anything more."

Piper was about to turn away and continue her search, when Aphrodite grabbed her arm. "Piper, Helen's dead."

"I know!" Piper answered, slightly abashed. "But so was Frank... and Calypso... and..."

"Who killed all of those people?" Aphrodite asked gently.

"Gaea, but..."

The goddess interrupted her. "And who killed Helen, Piper?"

"Icarus," Piper answered, looking at the ground and willing herself not to cry.

"Exactly." Aphrodite released Piper's arm. "The people who have come back are the people whose time hadn't yet come; the people who Gaea killed unjustly. For example, your friend Frank, Calypso, Esperanza Valdez..."

Piper started at the last name. She looked past Frank, who was holding a crying Hazel, past Jason and Thalia who were talking to their father, and her eyes fell upon Leo. He was standing back to her, one of his hands taken by Calypso's, and one by a short curly-haired woman who looked almost exactly like him.

"A lot of people have returned to the world of the living," Aphrodite whispered.

"Thanks for stating the obvious, Mom," Piper grumbled, but she was smiling.

Aphrodite reached out and ruffled her daughter's hair. "I'm proud of you, Piper. And I'm sure the other gods will be too."

"Thanks, I guess," Piper said. Thankfully Zeus spoke up.

"Listen up!" he boomed, sounding strangely like one of Piper's school principals. "I'm taking everyone here to Mount Olympus! A conversation is in order!"

A second later, the gloomy cavern was gone, and Piper was standing in a huge room. Twelve enormous thrones sat in a U shape, each of them different but beautiful in an unique way. On them sat each Olympian God.

A black throne sat in between Zeus and Hera's thrones, and on it reclined a tired-looking Hades. Nico was sitting at the foot of his father's throne, polishing his sword.

"This is beautiful," Piper said to no one in particular.

She felt Hazel laugh quietly next to her, and Jason squeezed her hand. "You've never been here, I forgot!" Hazel exclaimed.

"Neither have I," Frank chimed in. Piper smiled to see him alive.

"Hey," she said suddenly. "What's the deal now? You know, with your firewood?"

Frank grinned, the smile lighting up every inch of his face. "Gone."

"Gone?" Jason echoed. "What do you mean, gone?"

"I don't depend on it anymore," Frank explained. "I can finally live my life without constantly worrying about a stupid piece of wood."

"Wow," Piper said. "That's great, Frank."

"Demigods," said the now-familiar voice of Zeus, and Piper turned to stare at the god. His throne was huge, and made out of solid platinum with lightning bolts carved into the side. He was wearing a toga.