55: LEO

CH 55 - LEO

Tears streaked down Leo's cheeks, falling into the burning hot lava.

"MR MCLEAN! MR CHASE!" He screamed.

He launched himself off the rock into the lava, only feeling a slight burning sensation as he paddled over to the place where the lava had swallowed up Annabeth and Piper's dads, even though he knew it was too late. Nothing. Nothing but...

Leo saw a half burned stick floating in the water. He grabbed it and with repulsion discovered that it was a charred bone of Mr. McLean's finger, tightly clasped around a delicate silver chain holding a pink pendant. More tears ran from his eyes as he tried to unclasp the finger bone from the pendant while treading water - or lava.

"LEO!" screamed a voice. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

Leo didn't even pause to see who was calling him - he just wrenched the necklace away from Mr. McLean's remains and paddled back to some demigod's outstretched hand. It was only then he realized it was Percy.

"Percy? Weren't you and the others separated?" Leo asked, in a daze.

"The floor just caved and we all fell through this!"

"What about Frank? And Hazel? Are they alive?" Leo asked urgently.

"I think so. They were on a huge chunk of rock when they fell," Percy said. "And Hazel was doing pretty well at saving people with her magic."

Leo sighed in relief. And then he remembered Tristan McLean and Frederic Chase and a burst of pain stronger than the most white-hot fire exploded in his chest.

Percy grabbed his shoulders. "Leo! What's wrong?"

"Annabeth's dad... and Piper's... they're dead," Leo choked, suddenly feeling like there wasn't enough oxygen in his lungs. "And it's all... my... fault."

Leo wished the lava could have burned him. He didn't deserve to live for all he had done to his friends.

"Their dads?" Percy simply looked bewildered. "What were they doing here anyway?"

"I asked for Mr. McLean's help... the fangirls that probably saved you were chasing after him... and he brought Mr. Chase along with him."

Percy raised his eyes. "Leo, I..."

But before he could say anything the rock they were sitting on turned to ice, freezing Percy and Leo into two ice sculptures unable to move or speak.

Leo tried to scream but nothing came out of his mouth. He strained his arm to burn away the ice with a fireball but nothing emerged.

Percy was the same, Leo could see. But he imagined a bigger problem: all the demigods had been turned to ice, and some of them were starting to shatter.

Leo heard a demoniac laugh and he saw Khione swooping above them on an icy-white pegasus. In his head he cursed himself for forgetting about her.

Do something! He wanted to scream to Percy but then noticed that Percy was. All the ice encasing them was slowly but surely turning to liquid: water.

And suddenly the lava was no longer lava but freezing water. Chunks of deadly sharp ice flew in the torrents of water, falling from the ceiling.

"What are you doing?" Leo screamed at Percy, who looked just as shocked as he felt.

"I didn't do anything!" Percy exclaimed.

For some reason, an image of Leo's old chemistry teacher popped into his mind. When two substances are non miscible, they can sometimes provoke a reaction when put into contact. That must be what was happening: Percy's and 'Khione's' magic in the same place had provoked a reaction: and this was it.