18: LEO

CH 18-LEO

Two gods in not even two weeks. This was too much for even Leo's awesomness. Especially when one of the gods was a slightly oversized dumpy little man who reminded Leo of a poker player.

"Um, I hope you don't mind me asking, but who are you?" Leo asked.

The man turned around, "And how is that any of your business?" he asked snottily.

Wait, what had just happened? Had this small man just insulted his Supreme Majesty Leo Valdez? That had not just happened. Leo felt for his trusty tool-belt, and prepped himself for ninja-mode.

"Excuse me, Mister?" Leo said sarcastically.

"Uh, Leo," Frank said nervously, "I don't think you should..."

Leo spun around to see all his friends looking at him as though he'd just poked a sleeping dragon in the eye. "Should what?"

"Listen to your friends, Lucas Valers," said the dumpy man, who Leo had already nicknamed Bad-Breath, because of the pungent smell of wine, umistakably on his breath. 

"I'll listen to them. Just, not you." Leo countered.

Bad-Breath turned, his eyes flashing dangerously, and by insinct, Leo backed away. Bad-Breath was no longer 'dumpy', but 'muscular'. His breath was no longer just smelly but smelled powerful. And his eyes were the best. They flashed purple, and the color somehow made Leo feel nauseous. He had a feeling it had nothing to do with the movement of the boat.

"Do you want to see what I can do?" asked the man, and what Leo thought was a typical American drawl actually had another accent mixed into it. An exotic Greek accent.

"You're Dionysus," Leo realized, feeling stupid as always.

Not that Calypso minded... she liked him for being stupid, klutzy.

You! Stupid! Stop thinking about Calypso!  the more rational part of his brain commanded.

"Correct, dunce." Dinoysus said. Leo had to smile at that one, remembering one occasion where he had visited Hazel's past. Before, that memory would have sent pleasantly exciting shivers all down his back, but now it just made him feel nostalgic, like when he had a normal crush on an attainable girl.

Not now, when he was head-over-heels in love with an unattainable one.

"My Lord," Piper said, kneeling in front of Dionysus and pouring a touch of charmspeak into her voice. "If I may permit myself the audacity of this inquiry. Why are you here?"

Bring it down a notch, Pipes, Leo thought, thinking she was exaggerating the flattery.

"I'm here for Annie Bell, of course. Now bring me to the silly girl!!" Dionysus declared, apparently unaware of the fact he had just confused the crew a whole lot more.

"Annie Bell?" asked Frank, and Leo knew the big guy was thinking the same thing as he was. They would've made great friends - if not for the whole, Hazel thing before, of course. But Leo was already noticing subtle changes in Frank's attitude towards him. Less wary, more generous, and more trusting. Leo liked it.

"Yes," Dionysus said nonchalantly. "Blonde girl. Tall. Grey eyes. Athena. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for her. Don't tell her or Perry though!" he added, as if that would be a mortification.

"Oh." Light dawned in Leo's eyes. "Annabeth Chase."

Dionysus rolled his eyes, and clapped his hands. A glass of wine descended and he took a sip. "Ah, it's nice that Father isn't watching over me anymore. I can finally drink the real thing," he said, obviously relishing the taste of the red wine.

Leo had absolutely no idea what the poor guy was talking about but pasted his usual impish grin onto his face.

"That's nice, Sir. But you see, Annabeth... we've kind of lost her."

The god swigged some more wine. "Lost her. And Perry?"

"You mean Percy," Leo stated.

"I most certainly do not, Lucas Valers. Have you any idea where they've gone?"

"Sorta," Frank admitted. "They're kind of... under the sea, with a few sea creature-things watching over them."

Dinoysus growled. "Well bring them to me, Finn Zacharias. What are you waiting for? You others, bring me a proper meal and good quality wine," he commanded. He waddled oer to the door. "The mess hall is this way, right?"

"Yessir," Piper confirmed quickly.

"Very well. I expect my meal in ten minutes no more, and it'd better be a God-worrthy meal. You, Finn, will go find Perry and Annie Bell."

And the door slammed behind him leaving only the smell of wine behind.

"Bye Frank." Without further ado, Piper rushed to the kitchen. Why was Piper so intent on impressing this wine dude?

"Something's up with her," Hazel stated the obvious. "Anyone know what it is?" she said, looking at Jason.

He shrugged. "I'm as clueless as the rest of you. She never tells me anything."

Was it Leo being Leo or was it that a bit of resentement in Jason's voice as he watched Frank's arm around Hazel? Now that Leo came to think of it... he rarely saw Jason and Piper holding hands or with their arms around each other or even kissing in public like Percy and Annabeth did.

Leo made a mental note to check on Jason later. The guy was so quiet you never really knew what he was feeling.

But then, wasn't that what they were all doing? Hiding emotions? Like Leo's for Calypso?

His train of thoughts were interrupted when Frank cleared his throat. "I'm heading off. Good luck with the cooking."

He pecked Hazel on the lips and nodded to Leo and Jason. Leo felt an irresistible urge to do a duck-face but fought it off. This was a serious moment.

"Be careful," were Hazel's parting words to Frank as he dove off the ship, transforming mid-flip into a dolphin.

"Okay," Leo said, "Time for Chef Leo to show his true talent."

"What are you planning to make?" Jason asked.

Leo grinned, knowing that a sparkle of fun was once again dancing in his black eyes. "Tacos."

***

Whipping up the tacos had been easy, execpt for the shortage of bell peppers, but whatever, Dionysus would live right? Then finding some Menage-a-Trois (was that how you spell it) and pouring it into an intricarte wineglass had been Piper's job - Leo was too clumsy.

Piper had been acting very rushed and quite stressed, and Leo made a mental note to talk relationships with both her and Jason later. Man, he felt like a therapist. 

Hazel and Jason had been very cooperative assistants and marveled adequately at Chef Leo's talent for taco-making. Leo was seriously condering opening a taqueria if they survived this quest... and he had been having so much fun he almost hadn't thought of Calypso, almost being the key-word.

Now there was only the small matter of hoping that gods liked tacos. With tabasco sauce.

I'm sorry it's short and took a long time to update but seriously I have school and stuff. And I want to thank you guys and girls for being the most beautifully, nice, patient readers in the world! :)xx Now you've got your update and I hope you like it! And why do you think Piper was so stressed about Dionysus? Maybe they have a past? And who ships Caleo? I still do! :D

I'm not the kind of writer who asks for a certain number of votes and comments before updating the next chapter but receiving votes and comments is nice all the same, and makes us feel appreciated. =)

Dedicated to @CamelsAreEvil! I scrolled through the list of last chapter's comments and picked the longest one to dedicate for. From now on, we'll be dedicating to random people so you might just be surprised! ;)

Okay, I'm really sorry for this long A/N. Byyye! xD

Rach xox