42: ANNABETH

CH 42- ANNABETH

Annabeth couldn't decide whether she was glad or not when the Iris-Message faded away. Then again, this situation was so messed up there was really nothing to be glad about.

Beside her, Jason cursed. He ran a hand through his hair, looking more troubled and upset than Annabeth had ever seen him.

Jason turned towards her, lightning flashing in his blue eyes. "Why'd you have to do this?" he demanded.

Annabeth couldn't believe he was blaming her for the kiss. "What, you think I'm responsible for this?" she snapped. "Why would I ever want to kiss you?"

She put a hand on his shoulder. "Jason, come on. I know you're upset -I am too -but we need to think straight. Didn't you feel like someone was -I don't know -controlling you when it happened? Like someone wanted us to kiss?"

Jason sighed and seemed to be calming down. "Yeah," he admitted. "But who would want that?"

Suddenly, Annabeth knew exactly who they were looking for. "There's only one person I know who would deliberately mess up our love lives just to make it more interesting," she said, anger rising up to her face.

Jason thought for a moment. "Aphrodite?" he said.

The shimmering form of a goddess appeared in front of them. "You have guessed right, my dear. Honestly, I thought the two of you would have figured it out sooner." She spread her arms out, as if expecting them to bow before her or something.

Annabeth had to fight the urge to strangle her. Even Jason, who usually acted all courteous around the gods, didn't kneel in front of her. Instead, he also looked ready to strangle the goddess.

The fact that Annabeth felt a pang of jealousy every time she saw Aphrodite didn't help matters. The goddess looked stunning in a long, sleeveless gown that trailed behind her and had her chestnut hair in an up-do, showing off these feathered earrings. Aphrodite was always a brunette to Annabeth, because if there was something she could change about her appearance, it would be her hair. She hated being blonde. I wonder if Jason feels the same way.

"How could you do this to us, Aphrodite?" Jason asked. "Piper is your daughter, I thought you cared about her!"

"Oh, but I do," said Aphrodite, clasping her hands together over her heart. "And that's exactly why I made you and Annabeth kiss! You, my dear Jason, were just too faithful. And you, Annabeth, well, I promised to make your love life interesting, and I never break a promise, now do I?"

It was all so ridiculous, Annabeth didn't know whether to laugh or cry or scream. She never thought she would dislike a goddess more than Hera or Gaea, but Aphrodite definitely took the cake. It wasn't fair; why couldn't Aphrodite just leave her alone? Hadn't she trolled enough with her love life?

"Why are you so obsessed with ruining my life?" Annabeth demanded, her voice almost cracking.

"Because Percabeth is just TOO CUTE!" Aphrodite squealed. "Every good couple has their little mishaps here and there, but that's what makes them real!" Then, she studied Annabeth up and down and wrinkled her nose. "But Annabeth, honestly, when I said to do something with your hair, I didn't mean to burn it!"

Annabeth clenched and unclenched her hands. She had almost forgotten about her singed hair. Does it really look that bad? she thought, but quickly put that thought aside. Why should she care about what Aphrodite thought of her anyway?

"Whatever, I don't care," she said through gritted teeth. "Now if you'll excuse us, Jason and I have a fox to hunt."

She tugged Jason's strong arm, willing him to walk away from Aphrodite with her, but he stayed glued in place, looking as determined as ever. "Okay, but first -"