46: ANNABETH

CH 46 -ANNABETH

(Early A/N again whoops: This chapter is just a flashback, meaning it'll show what happened on Annabeth and Jason's quest with the Fox and all.)

Annabeth and Jason were lost. If only Aphrodite had given some directions, but of course she couldn't possibly be any more helpful than she always was!

Annabeth couldn't tell how far she'd transported them, or if they were still in Greece for that matter. Aphrodite had made it sound like Amphitryon and his dog, the Laelaps, would be right there waiting for them, but of course they were nowhere to be seen.

"I guess there's only one thing to do now," Annabeth said.

"What's that?" Jason asked.

"Call for Amphitryon and hope he answers," she replied.

Jason considered it, then nodded. "Could work. Besides, what do we have to lose?"

Annabeth cupped her hands over her mouth and shouted, "Oh, great Amphitryon! Are you there?"

"We need your help," Jason continued. "We need to find the Teumessian fox and only you, the Great One, and your dog can help us!"

They waited, but nothing happened. A tumbleweed could've rolled passed and it would've fit the situation.

"When flattery doesn't work, taunts usually do," Annabeth said.

"Amphitryon, stop being coward! What, are you afraid of two demigods?" Jason said.

"You scared you aren't competent enough to help us?" Annabeh asked.

She blinked, and all of a sudden, a young man and a golden retriever were there. Jason stumbled back in surprise and she drew her knife, but Annabeth sighed with relief when she realized her plan had worked.

"You called?" Amphitryon asked, stretching as if he was warming up to run a marathon.

"Sorry for the, uh, insults sir," Jason said, but Annabeth didn't think the "sir" was necessary. After all, Amphitryon could've passed for a teenager their age, except for the fact that he was dressed up in ancient Greek clothes. The Laelaps also could've passed for a normal dog if he was as big as a cow.

"Mhmm," was his response.

"So, will you help us?" Annabeth asked wanting to get straight to the point.

Amphitryon stared at her, then laughed and laughed. Annabeth gave Jason this look like, What's his problem?

"Okay kids, give me ONE good reason why I should help you," he said, flicking a tear off the corner of his eye. "First of all, I don't think you have anything to offer me in return. Second, using Laelaps to find the Teumessian fox will automatically destroy both of them due to their paradox. I can't afford that. A dog is a man's best friend, you know!"

"We understand," Annabeth started in a reasoning tone, but Amphitryon cut her off.

"No, girl, you couldn't possibly understand!"

"But you came here when we called for you. So you must want something," she pointed out.

The corner of Amphitryon's mouth twitched.

"Tell us what you want, and maybe we can come to an agreement," Jason offered.

The young general sighed. "Oh, alright. But just so you know, I'm only wasting my time by telling you this because you asked me. If I had it my way, I would be chillin' in Elysium with my bros right now."