10: PERCY (BONUS CHAPTER)

CH 10-PERCY

Looking at Annabeth's lifeless body, Percy couldn't help but feel terrible grief overcome him.

He did not only feel great sadness, but also remorse, loss, and most of all, hatred towards himself.

And Gaea, of course.

After leaving the mess hall, Percy headed towards Annabeth's room with great relief. Sure, that El girl was mysterious and all, but he had more important things to worry about. He was sure the others could handle it.

Later on, as he got up to get a snack, he almost got Piper and Hazel in trouble. He didn't mean to, but hey, he'd asked them a reasonable question. Yeah, maybe he spoke a little loud, but how could've he known El would hear? 

They had no good reason to call him Seaweed Brain.

He quickly returned to Annabeth's room, to be back with the love of his life.

The love of his life, who may be permanently ill, maybe even dead.

"No, don't think of that," he scolded himself. "stay positive." Percy often spoke to himself. It helped feel like he wasn't alone. Still, these were the worst of times he ever gone through in his life. Even Tartarus had been easier. At least he had Annabeth at his side, alive.

When he'd learned that Annabeth could be dead, he felt as if he'd lost a part of himself. Not an arm or a leg, but a part of his heart.

Normal couples worried about losing their partner by break up; he worried about losing his partner by death.

It wasn't fair; they'd suffered and sacrificed so much, but the gods never gave them a break, never sent a "thank you for saving our sorry butts once again" card, or a "congratulations on escaping Tartarus in one piece" note.

The seven demigods were supposedly the most powerful half-bloods alive. Didn't they deserve a little better?

"Apparently not," he chuckled. Yep. He was definitely going mad.

He took Annabeth's clammy hand. It was so cold. For the millionth time, he checked for a pulse. Still nothing. The strange thing was, her chest moved up a down. she breathed, but she had no heartbeat. Percy was scared that she would suddenly stop breathing, and then it'd be over. It could happen any moment, so that's why he sat by her side all day and night, so he could be there in case she took her final breath. "If you die, Annabeth, then i'll die with you. I'm keeping my promise. Together until the end," he promised.

It was murder, what Gaea had done to her.

But it wasn't only Gaea's fault. It was his fault too. That's why he felt such guilt. "I  should have been there when this happened. Where was I? Was I sleeping?" He asked himself these questions over and over again. They were never-ending, but until he got an answer, he wouldn't stop asking them.

Percy still couldn't believe it had only been a day since this had all happened. "it feels like it's been years. Annabeth, every second you're not actually here, with me, feels like an eternity," he said, but quickly stopped himself.

Percy shuddered. His thoughts were turning into poetry. He hoped he didn't sound as bad as Apollo.

Not that anyone heard him, he hoped. He looked behind him.

Nope, no one there. Funny, he felt as if someone was watching him. "Gaea, you're not welcome here. go away."

No answer.

Gaea had come to visit him a few times that day. She told him that she was keeping Annabeth's spirit prisoner, and was showing her nightmarish scenes from the past and the present. She said that if Percy didn't choose to sacrifice himself, she would make the visions worse, and she would eventually kill Annabeth. He knew he shouldn't, and that Annabeth would kill him if he did. But, at the same time, if he didn't do anything, she would die.