21: ANNABETH

CH 21-ANNABETH

"ANNABETH!" her friends cried, rushing towards her.

Percy was first. He lifted her up, twirling her around, and their lips met.

The kiss was almost as good as their first one, way back in Camp Half-Blood, in the canoe lake.

It was almost as good as the one in Camp Jupiter, when they finally got to meet after months of being separated, which were actually some of the hardest months of Annabeth's life.

She had longed for this kiss so much it hurt. It felt like everything would be okay.

For once, it seemed their friends didn't mind they were kissing publicly, but she couldn't have cared less whether they did or not.

"Group hug!" Leo called, rapping his arms around everyone, the other following his example.

For a few moments, the crew could rejoice without worrying about anything else.

"Ah-HEM," someone cleared their throat. They had almost forgotten about Dionysus! "This little reunion is cute and all, but I have better things to do than watch you smother each other."

Annabeth never thought she would be thanking Mr. D for anything, but she decided it was best if she did so. "Thank you for healing me, Dionysus. It's about the first nice thing you've ever done for me."

"Well, that wine you all made for me better be good! How did my son treat you?"

Annabeth sent her friends a questioning look, but Percy mouthed, Later.

"Sabazios was very kind to us," Hazel said. "But he told us he was usually very lonely around there. You should send him visitors more often."

Dionysus rubbed his chin. "Hmm, yes. I suppose I could bring the bratty campers on a field trip there one day. Yes! What an excellent idea! I'm so brilliant." He patted himself on the back.

"My lord, you said you had something to tell us?" Piper reminded him.

"Indeed. Just a few warnings: As John Green has already told you, a special someone has sacrificed his or her life for you, though I cannot say whom. One of you will be heartbroken, that's for sure, but you must remember to stay strong and concentrate on what's important. Be careful what you sacrifice and who you sacrifice for, because that could make us lose the war altogether. Is that clear?"

"Yes sir," they all said, making Annabeth feel like she was back in school in California. Just thinking about home made Annabeth queasy, but she forced herself to concentrate on the present.

"Secondly, I am confirming what Gaea told Perry Johansson and Annie Bell Chance. Remember, you must learn to work together as a team, even though you aren't exactly close friends. Now. A special piece of advice for each of you.

"You," he said, pointing at Annabeth, "must be careful not to over do it, because you're not completely healed yet. And don't forget to expect the unexpected."

Expect the unexpected. What did he mean by that?

He pointed at Leo. "You, need to start working on that crystal if you wish to ever see your loved one again. Time is running out." Leo nodded solemnly, ignoring the glances he was getting from his friends.

He pointed at Hazel. "You, must not fret, even after what's happened to your powers. They will come back, but only after you've completed a certain task with a certain someone." Hazel lost her powers?

He pointed to Jason. "You, must push yourself to your maximum when you reach Corinth, or your fellow questers won't make it through. And remember, you have an important secret to keep, and must only reveal it to everyone when the time is right."