59: REYNA (BONUS CHAPTER)

CH 59 -REYNA

Once again, Reyna was hopelessly outnumbered. She wondered if it was just luck, but she knew better. Every day was Make-Reyna-feel-hopeless day, and today was no exception.

She had dedicated her life to the Twelfth Legion, to Camp Jupiter. Now, she was fighting for two camps, and in the process, had traveled half across the world twice, lost her trusted companion Scipio, almost got the Athena Parthenos destroyed, and was now leading roughly one hundred demigods through a labyrinth.

She could almost hear Gaea whispering in her ear, Was it worth all the sacrifices, Reyna Avila Ramirez-Arellano? 

If it means the survival of the Olympians, then yes, she wanted to respond, but did she really believe that? Had she been happy during these years, or had all this work cost her happiness?

Reyna slashed her way through the endless number of monsters, but for once in her life, she didn't have a plan. Kill all the monsters? Find one of the seven, or Nico?

Her first instinct was to search for Jason, but she had to remind herself he wasn't the praetor anymore; Frank Zhang was. She had no problem with that, but this made her wonder, had she always turned to Jason because he was her coworker, or because she had feelings for him? Used to have feelings, she corrected herself.

"Romans! Close ranks!" Reyna tried to regain control. "Cuneum formate!" But her screaming was all in vain, because no one was listening. Not that the Greeks weren't good fighters, but Reyna couldn't organize them like the Romans, and all the demigods were mixed up.

Dakota from the Fifth Cohort, whose chin seemed to be permanently dyed red, ran up to Reyna, out of breath. "Reyna, there are... there are mortals inside the labyrinth! Bobby just spotted them! He said they're... they're fangirls?"

Pulling him along behind a rock, Reyna scanned the cavern, and sure enough, at the mouth of the cave were dozens of female mortals. They were all holding these posters and what seemed like merchandise of some celebrity. Was he there with them?

She cursed under her breath. Why did mortals always have to tangled up into their affairs? The last thing Reyna wanted was to get involved with some actor and crazy fans, but as usual, it was her duty to take care of this.

"I'm on it," she told Dakota, straightening her helmet. She whistled, calling for her two metallic dogs Aurum and Argentum. "Try to form lines or ranks while I take of this."

"On your own?" Dakota asked. "O - okay."

"No, I'm coming too," came a voice. Nico appeared by her side, as if he had just materialized out of thin air, but nothing Nico did surprised Reyna anymore. After spending two weeks with him, Reyna had learned so much and had gotten really close to the son of Pluto - or, Hades.

She didn't even protest when he offered his help. They were a team now, and if he was ready to help, so much the better. Reyna nodded. "Let's go."

They continued to fight as they made their way toward the other side of the cavern.

There was just one problem.

Will Solace.

"Nico di Angelo, you get over here right now!" Will yelled, just managing to duck in time as a club swung at his head. "No more shadow-traveling or zombie-raising stunts, mister! Doctor's orders!" He tripped over a sword and fell flat on his face.

"I'm fine, Solace!" Nico said with a groan. "You should watch yourself!" Reyna couldn't help but smile after their small exchange.

They were making progress until yet another wave of monsters arrived, and some of them were trying to climb up the cliff, where the mortals were. The mortals screamed and backed up.