34: ANNABETH

CH 34- ANNABETH

If it weren't for the hydra, Annabeth and Jason would've certainly been toast. Burnt toast, for that matter.

Their quest started off simple; they had been transported to the Corinth Canal itself (A/N picture at side) where they would use their skills to find the Teumessian fox and bring it to whoever Hera had been talking with. Boats were passing through the narrow walls as Annabeth peered down.

"Whoa, that's steep," Jason said. Annabeth had seen pictures of the Canal before, but it was an entirely different feeling seeing it up close and personal.

After an hour of arguing, Jason and Annabeth made a pact; they wouldn't let these personal problems get in the way of completing their quest. "Once we finish the quest, we can argue as much as we want," Annabeth had said, and Jason agreed.

Then Piper and Frank arrived. Annabeth's heart stopped as soon as she saw Jason and Piper embracing. Whatever bitterness she had been holding suddenly faded away. Annabeth felt for the couple; it was as if they'd been holding their breath until the moment they were reunited. Annabeth longed to be in Percy's arms too. But it would have to wait.

Sadly, now that she and Jason were separated from their friends once again, the same old bitterness slowly started to trickle back into Annabeth's mind. What was wrong with her?

The duo first stopped at a small cafe (the only cafe around there, for that matter) and each bought a tyropita and their own drinks. They did not share.

Annabeth took Deadalus's laptop out of her backpack. "Alright, I think it would be wisest to find the guy we're supposed to give the fox to. He could give us some tips. I've done some research, and I've decided we're most likely to find him-"

"Wait, I think we should just go looking for the fox," Jason interrupted. "It's not like there's something we don't already know. We would be wasting time."

"It's not a waste of time," Annabeth said through gritted teeth, "because we would probably waste our time instead searching every corner of Corinth when the man could be giving us vital information! What is it with guys and asking for help?"

"What is it with girls and NOT asking for help?" said Jason, throwing up his arms in exasperation.

"Oh, so you're blaming us for not being stuck-up ignorant fools?" She crossed her arms.

"I never said that!"

Annabeth was about to make another snappy comment when a scream resonated from outside. She and Jason shared a look, and immediately ran to help, fearing it was monster related.

It was a monster all right; half a dozen hydras (is that the correct plural form?) were slithering around slowly, not really causing any harm to the mortals, but the people seemed terrified notheless. Just like the one Annabeth had fought with Percy and Tyson many years ago, these ones had nine diamond shaped heads with mouths spewing toxic acid through the razor sharp teeth. Some heads were even breathing fire.

Most people were tourists, so they were screaming in all different languages. Annabeth couldn't tell what the Mist made them see.

Annabeth had never heard of more than one hydra appearing at once, but there was a first time for everything, right?

"Okay Jason, you take the ones on the-" Annabeth started to say, but immediately faltered when she noticed Jason had already started to attack the monsters.

"Jason, you're going to get everyone, including yourself, KILLED!" Annabeth shrieked. "We NEED to cooperate!"

Either he was ignoring her or he simply didn't hear, because he continued chopping heads off and then zapping the stubs with lightning.