47: LEO

CH 47 -LEO

"Holy tacos!" 

Hazel and Frank ran up, breathing heavily. "Leo, what's wrong?" Frank gasped.

"Yeah! Where are the others?" Hazel added, clutching her side.

"That's what I was wondering." Leo sat up and rubbed his head. He'd seen first Helen, then Piper, then Jason, and finally Annabeth disappear over this rock, but when he's jumped, headfirst, he'd hit a plain white rock. Nothing special.

"What do you mean?" Hazel asked. Her sweaty hair was stuck to her forehead and she impatiently brushed it away. 

"They're gone," Leo said. "I saw them jump over this rock, and then they were gone."

Frank shook his head. "That's not possible." He not-very-nicely pushed Leo off the rock, and started methodically examining it. When he didn't find anything of use, he sighed in frustration and tried to lift the rock.

"It doesn't lift!" he exclaimed.

Leo and Hazel joined him, and pulled with all their force on the rock. It didn't budge.

"Great. Just great," Leo said, wiping sweat off his neck. "There's something wrong with the rock now. We're basically done for."

"Leo, calm down," Hazel said in her most soothing voice. "I know we're all stressed because we think we've lost our friends, but everything will be okay. There has to be another way in."

"Hazel," Leo said. "Do you know what day it is?"

Hazel paused for a minute, then shook her head.

"Two days," Leo said, "That's all we have left. Wait, scratch that. One and a half days."

Hazel sunk to the ground, with her head in her hands. It was only after a while that Leo realized she was silently crying.

Frank seemed to have come to this realization as well, and he sat down next to Hazel, putting his arm around her shoulder. 

Finally, Hazel removed her hands from her face and set them on the rock. "Look," she started to say, but suddenly gave a start. "It's... aaargh!!" She pushed herself away from the rock, and Leo could now see it clearly. The plain white rock had cleaved neatly into two parts, with a glowing blue sign in the middle. He scrambled closer, while Frank and Hazel stumbled away.

"It looks like..." Leo whipped out a metal detector from his tool belt. No metal detected. "It looks like... the sign of the Labyrinth."

Frank and Hazel both shook their heads. "Leo, that can't be. The Labyrinth? It was destroyed," Hazel reminded him.

Leo bent down and sniffed the air. He scrabbled around in the dirt for a small rock, and tossed it in. The three of them listened, but no noise came.

"Okay, so it goes quite far underground," Frank concluded.

"Nice job, Einstein," Leo replied irritably. "The question is how we're getting down there."

"Wait. We're getting down there?"

"Frank, our friends are down there. They-"

"What about Percy?" Hazel interrupted.

Leo paused. He hadn't considered that. "Percy will be brought here, I'm sure. They'll trap him as well. Guys, we have to get down there," he said urgently.

Frank stood up. His face twisted, as if he were thinking. Or maybe he was constipated. "Leo, I don't know..."

Leo groaned and raked his fingers through his tangled curls. "Look guys," He said, grabbing a rope from his tool belt and walking over to a tree.