53: PIPER

CH 53 -PIPER

"Dad!" 

Piper had meant for it to sound like a question, but she was so glad to finally see her dad, after over an year that it came out as an exclamation. Questions about why he was here swirled around her mind, but instead she ran to hug him. Her dad smelled like ocean salt.

"It's so good to see you, Piper," her dad said, hugging her back. "All the demigod stuff... it's gotten you too busy."

"Demigod stuff?" Piper turned to look at Leo who looked just as surprised as she had. When Leo had brought her out of the Labyrinth, it had been weird enough. But him bringing her dad to her, private helicopter and all, was kind of mind-baffling. Add the fact that he suddenly remembered everything about being a demigod, and you get: weird.

"Oh," Piper's dad said with a grin. "You thought that little memory stuff would make me forget who my favorite girl really is, huh? Well, I think I've forgotten to introduce you to my friend, Fred. Fred!"

"Eh?" A blond and gray-streaked head appeared from the helicopter's door. "Just a second, Tristan, this copter's really quite fascinating..."

"Fred, now is not the time! My daughter is here!"

"Oh! Fantastic!" Piper heard the sound of something falling, and suddenly an extremely tall, kind of awkward-looking man hurried towards them. His face fell as he saw her, and for a brief moment she wondered if she had done something wrong. 

"Annabeth's not with you," said the man, very obviously trying to cover up his disappointment.

Suddenly everything seemed to focus in Piper's mind. This blond man was Annabeth's father. And he was somehow friends with her father. So that must've been how her father knew about demigods. It was all just too weird, especially since she currently wasn't on exactly the best terms with Annabeth.

"Uh, no," Leo said. "She and a few others are leading a group of demigods to the battle."

"Always doing the dangerous thing," said Annabeth's father with a dry smile. "Well, Tristan, we'll have to get to them, won't we?"

Piper's dad nodded, his arm still draped around Piper's shoulder. "Yes. What do we have to do?"

***

"Leo, I really don't know if it was a good idea to get my dad invloved," Piper called out to Leo as she tried to stay in control of her falling down the hole into the Labyrinth.

"Beauty queen, you need to chill," Leo said. It had been so long since he had called her that, and it brought back all kinds of wistful memories. "He wanted to. It's kind of weird though, him being friends with Beth's dad and all."

Piper remained silent.

"I mean the good kind of weird," Leo continued talking, something he was annoyingly good at. "Now you guys can be some really weird kind of father-daughter BFF's. That's cool."

"Not sure about the 'daughter' part," Piper muttered to herself bitterly as she swung back and forth in midair. 

"What was that, beauty queen?" Leo asked. "Something happen with you and Beth?"

"Yes, actually." If Piper felt one hundred percent comfortable about telling one of the demigods about her fight with Annabeth, it was Leo. 

"Aww, c'mon. Leo doesn't like it when his two favorite sistas get into a fight."

"Leo, stop trying to be cool," Piper joked. 

"Seriously, though, why did you and Beth fight?"

"It's really stupid," Piper muttered. She felt embarrassed but also annoyed: the fight had mostly been Annabeth's fault.