50: ANNABETH

CH 50- ANNABETH

Annabeth knew the day would come when she'd have to defend her boyfriend in battle. She just never thought it would be because he'd sacrificed his life for hers.

After all, Athena and pretty much all the other gods had warned him about his fatal flaw, but of course Percy, being Percy, had been like Lol nope! And had seemingly failed on that regard.

At the entrance of the big sacrificial room, Annabeth's vision tunneled when she first spotted Percy. She thought he was dead, just like Piper had said.

Gods... Piper.

Ever since Annabeth's return from Tartarus, she'd had a rocky relationship with Piper. It had been one argument after another, and now this. How could she have kept such a thing from Annabeth? Did she even feel guilty? If Annabeth had been in her place, she wouldn't have even let Jason go to begin with. Because of Piper, the world might just end since she let the male sacrifice happen.

Annabeth wanted more than anything for things to go back to how they used to be. But after their last fight, it never felt the same hanging out with Piper. Something had changed, and Annabeth knew that their relationship would never be the same again.

But that didn't mean that they couldn't be friends.

No, she thought to herself. Not after what she did to you and Percy.

Rage exploded inside of Annabeth as she drew her dagger and surged forward, making her way slowly to Percy. She heard the crackle of lightning. She slashed through the monsters, not letting anything get in her way. There was no giant to be seen, fortunately, since they ceiling was much too low for any of them to fit in the room.

Annabeth threw herself at Percy's pillar and cut the ropes that bound him with alarming speed. In result, Percy fell on his face.

"Stupid idiot," she muttered, turned him over, and assessed his injuries. "Stupid, stupid, stupid. I hate you for doing this, you know." Besides a broken arm, he seemed fine. He was breathing, and that's always a good sign. She poured some nectar in his mouth. He stirred a little, but did not wake.

Annabeth wondered why the monsters weren't attacking. Had she killed them all? No, impossible. She turned her head and nearly chocked.

They were all gone.

Their only remains was the black dust on the ground; they had been reduced to ashes. But how? It must have been Jason. But he couldn't have done that all on his own. Where was he, anyway?

And without knowing why, Annabeth started to cry. All her worries and fears seemed to come crashing down on her at that moment, just like the sky she once held. This was real. The final battle was happening right now. And Gaea was about to rise.

She lifted Percy's head onto her lap, running her fingers through the knots in his dark messy hair, and kissed him on the lips. "I love you." She loved the way those words felt on her lips when she uttered them, as if they meant everything in the world, as if they were the most important words to have ever existed. "I love you," she repeated.

Percy's eyes suddenly snapped open, as if those very words had evoked him. He coughed some blood up. Now both of their mouths were bloody. They probably looked like vampires. "Am I dead?" he said in a raspy voice.

"Not yet," she responded, brushing the hair out of his eyes.

"Oh, 'cause I thought I saw an angel," he said, winking at her.