13: FRANK (part 2)

CH 13-FRANK

Just like they had in Rome, Frank and Hazel wandered around, but this time, they were looking for Helen of Troy to get Katopris back. Also, Leo wasn’t around to bother them, so it almost felt like they were on a date. Hazel told him her plan; it was brilliant, but the chances that it would work were looking slim. However, it was the best plan they got, so they had to try it.

The longer they walked, the darker the sky got. This worried Frank. How long had they been away from the ship? How would they get back? It felt like they weren’t getting anywhere. All they learned was that this was in fact an Ionian Island, called Paxos. The town they were in was called Gaios, the main port of Paxos.

“This island was apparently created by Poseidon. He struck the island Corfu with his trident, smashing it to pieces, so that he and his wife Amphitrite could have some peace,” read Hazel from a tourist brochure. (A/N yeah, I totally got that from Wikipedia)

“So that would make Amphitrite Percy’s stepmom,” said Frank. “I wonder if they’ve ever met.” (A/N they actually did meet in the Last Olympian.)

Finally, long after the feeling in Frank’s legs had gone numb, and when the sun had completely set, they decided to take a break at went to have supper. Besides, it wasn’t like they were on a time limit. Sure, the world was supposedly going to end in 12 days, but that left them plenty of time to stop Gaea. Right?

The restaurant they stopped at was more of a café, but it was still very nice. As they ate a dish called “yemista” (A/N it’s a really good dish), Frank noticed someone that looked awfully familiar. He nudged Hazel, who was stuffing her face with food.

“Wha-“

“Helen! She’s sitting right there!” he told her, pointing in Helen’s direction. She had just walked in and seated herself at a table far away from Frank and Hazel, her back facing them. A cell phone was at her ear, and she was talking so loud he could hear exactly what she was saying: “Yes, that’s right- What? No! That wasn’t part of our deal! You said that if I poisoned the demigods, you would bring him back! You swore on the River Styx- I don’t care if you’re a Titan! Rules are rules, Gaea!” Frank and Hazel shared a look (since when did Gaea have a phone?), but continued to listen. “Well, I poisoned one of them, at least. The one you wanted most dead, so he could meet up with his girlfriend and whatnot.” Hazel mouthed, “Percy?”, and Frank nodded, confirming her suspicion.

Helen broke into tears. “It’s not fair! I haven’t seen Paris in more than a millennia. How come you bring them together, but you keep me and Paris apart? I’m the one working for you, after all. Why do you help your worst demigod enemy, but you do not help your ally? You promised you would bring him back to me! You promised! All I want is to see him again- I don’t care if the Doors are closed! Please, just find a way! I beg you.” She hiccupped while sobbing. Everyone in the café was staring at her (which wasn’t a lot of people), but they had a good reason to. A waiter brought her a handkerchief, but she did not acknowledge him. Frank saw Hazel wipe a tear from her eye, and Frank felt like doing the same. Sure, Helen was their enemy, but he still felt bad for her. She hadn’t seen her boyfriend in more than a thousand years. Frank wouldn’t be able to be apart from Hazel for more than like, a week. Not only that, but things weren’t working out as she had planned, and Frank could relate to that a lot. She looked so miserable and desperate, he thought she would start singing “I dreamed a dream” at any second (A/N I don’t know why I’ve been obsessing over that song lately).

She didn’t talk for a few minutes. Gaea must’ve been giving her a long lecture. Helen wiped the tears from her eyes and face. “I see- Yes I heard you. It’s the demigods’ fault for closing the Doors and from keeping you from bringing him back. Don’t worry, I’ll get my revenge- Yes, I’ll SMS you later. (A/N Greek talk for “text”) What? I can’t hear you. Hold on, I’m putting you on speaker. Ok, that’s better. Can you hear me?”