44: PERCY

CH 44 -PERCY

 Rainbow was swimming/galloping faster than Percy had ever seen him. Mostly because Percy was making him do so.

"C'mon Rainbow, faster!" he urged.

"Percy, you're pushing him too far," Hazel warned.

Rainbow whinnied in agreement.

Percy sighed. He knew Hazel was right. It wasn't fair, how he was taking his anger out on the hippocampus.

"Sorry Rainbow," he said, patting Rainbow's neck. "Go at whatever speed you want. It's not like getting to Varkiza faster will solve our problems, anyway."

He didn't speak for the rest of the ride, fearing he would explode again if he so little thought about Jason and Annabeth. Honestly, he didn't know how to feel. So many complicated and different situations in the last twenty four hours had left his emotions all over the place, making him dizzy.

Instead, he concentrated on his surroundings; Percy had never seen bluer waters. Many times he had to fight the urge to dive in and stay there forever. For some reason, he was dreading reaching Varkiza, and it wasn't because he was going to have to face his friends.

The hour for his sacrifice was drawing near. At first, Percy never thought he would be scared to sacrifice himself if it meant saving his friends, but now... He wasn't much of a hero if he was frightened to do what was right, was he?

"Percy, look!" Hazel exclaimed, shaking his arm, snapping him out of his thoughts.

The sandy shore of what Percy supposed was Varkiza was starting to touch the horizon. Varkiza seemed bizarrely calm, as if it was a usual happening place but something terrible had recently happened. Dozens of umbrellas and beach chairs had been abandoned, strangely. Deserted sailboats and other marine vehicles were anchored farther away from the shore, which they were quickly approaching.

"You can leave us off here, buddy," Percy told the hippocampus. "Thanks for the ride."

Rainbow came to a skidding halt (if that's even possible in the water), looking grateful. The waters here may have been cleaner than the ones in New York, but Percy had no idea what he'd do if the mortals saw a two kids riding a colorful pony riding into the sunset, in the ocean no less.

Luckily or unluckily, no one was around to notice him and Hazel merging from the water, one of them completely dry. "Where is everyone?" Hazel wondered aloud.

Percy shook his head. "If the others are hanging out, eating Greek food without us while the world is ending, I swear..."

"Actually," came a voice behind them. "Tacos are more our thing."

And there they were: Piper, Frank, and Leo, as well as a young-looking goddess who Percy recognized as Hestia, and... was that El?

"What's she doing here?" Percy asked, pointing at Helen, after they'd all exchanged hugs.

"Long story short," Piper said, "she's my friend, so she's your friend too."

Percy shrugged, too lazy to pry for details. "Good enough for me." But another question was burning on his lips. "Where are Annabeth and Jason?" he asked, trying to keep his voice steady.

"Haven't arrived yet," Frank said, his arm wrapped around Hazel even thought she was dripping wet. Seeing the two of them together always made Percy smile. He remembered how awkward they used to be around each other just a few months ago. They'd really grown since then.

Piper put a hand on Percy's shoulder. "Percy, Aphrodite came to talk to me. She's the one who made Jason and Annabeth kiss, long story short. It wasn't their choice. It didn't mean anything."