15: ANNABETH

CH 15-ANNABETH

(A/N Early Author’s Note: Just to let you know in advance, Annabeth has gone crazy so when she says and does things that don’t make sense, it’s because of that. This is a writing experiment, so please don’t judge. Enjoy!)

Annabeth’s head hurt.

She was confused. She was scared. She didn’t understand anything. She was mad. Not the angry kind of mad, but the mentally unstable kind of mad.

The edges of her vision were blurry, the people surrounding her gave her a headache. What was their problem, anyway? Why did this have to happen to her?

She wasn’t sure why Percy didn’t tell the others that Annabeth had spent her birthday in Tartarus, unlike Hazel who had gone on a date with her boyfriend, which was much more glamorous. Maybe because he didn’t want to overwhelm her, just like she had instructed.

Annabeth had gone through hell in the past few days. Her experience in her head had been much worse than her experience in Tartarus. Much worse.

Everything scared her. Everything made her want to cry. Everything made her want to end this hellish nightmare she was living. Even though she was back “alive” again, it sure didn’t feel like it.

Finally when Annabeth got out of the “imprisonment” Gaea had been keeping her in, when she thought she would never have to see Gaea again, the Earth Goddess sent her and Percy into another vision. Luckily, this one wasn’t so bad.

                                            * * *

Percy, Annabeth, long time no see, eh? She said.

Annabeth burst into tears, Percy wrapping his arms around her.

“We made a deal, Gaea,” Percy said bravely, “Looks like you haven’t kept it.”

What deal? Percy hadn’t told her anything about a deal. If her brain hadn’t felt like mush, she might have been able to understand.

Oh, but I have. No more tormenting you poor souls, right? I brought you here simply because I have information that is vital to your quest.

“Any information you provide us isn’t necessary.”

You shall all be tested! She continued, completely ignoring Percy. You will be separated from some of your friends, paired with the person least likely to work well with you. Then I shall see if you are truly the most powerful demigods of your era.

“There are seven of us. One will be left alone. And what makes you think we agreed on this whole ‘quest separation’ thing?”

The person left alone will be you, dear Percy. Remember our deal? The quest will happen, one way or another. The Fates have already decided who will come out of this as a champion, and who will perish. The prophecy cleared states that-

And this is when Hecate came in and saved that day.

She may have saved the day, but she hadn’t saved Annabeth’s life.

                               * * *