39: LEO

CH 39- LEO

"I am sorry! Please, do not be mad," Calypso begged, tears running down her soft cheeks. "It's just... I felt so useless!"

Leo felt unable to cry. His face was blank, and his ears were ringing. 

"I don't get it," he said slowly.

"There is nothing to get," Calypso replied. "I didn't think you would find me again. This reunion had made everything harder."

Leo loosened his grip on her, hurt.

"Please, do not be sad! I am glad that we met again," Calypso assured him. "Even if our meeting is short. I... I will be gone in a matter of minutes..."

Unsure of what to say, Leo kissed her trying his best to be strong. When he pulled away, he couldn't help noticing that Calypso was shimmering more and more. Her form basically sparkled.

"Calypso," he said urgently as the realization that they had very little time sunk in. "Listen. I'll come and get you after this war is over. And we can live together. I promise."

"Leo," Calypso said in a pacifying tone, sceptisicm present in her voice.

"No, I will!" Leo insisted. And suddenly, feeling very brave, he said, "I swear on the River Styx."

Even in the island of Ogygia, thunder rumbled.

Calypso gaped and shook her head frantically, her locks of hair flying in the air as she did so. "No, Leo, you shouldn't have done that! I..."

But what she meant to say next never was heard. For in a blast of light, Calypso evaporated before Leo had even the time to say goodbye.

***

Leo's eyes opened. He had to face it: he couldn't sleep.

He had been lying on a rug in the sand, staring at the sky and wishing he had someone to stargaze with him. But he had no one. So he'd tried to go to sleep but he couldn't.

That was Sirius, the dog star. And he could see the constellation of the Huntress, Zoë Nightshade that Annabeth and Thalia had once told him about. He wondered what it must be like to be a constellation, way above everyone.

The star representing Zoë's eye seemed to glint in reply.

And far away, he could make out the shape of Venus. He could use some advice from the love goddess, but of course, all-living superior beings had no time for little Leo Valdez and his broken heart.

That's right, crooned an earthly voice. The gods shun you. Join me instead.

For the first time, Leo did not immediately jump away from the voice of Gaea. 

He stayed silent, not quite knowing what to reply. 

Walk away from all this madness, Gaea said and for the first time again, Leo found her voice persuasive.

I will reunite you with your lost love, Gaea promised. What have the gods promised you? What has the goddess of love herself ever done? Mocking coursed through every word uttered by Gaea.

Leo took a deep breath.

"How will you reunite me with Calypso?" asked Leo.

The sand swirled, and the form of a woman rose. She had long black, billowing hair and her robes were of the grains of pink sand that scattered the beach. There was something different about her, and Leo's eyes widened and he let out a shout as he realized what it was.

Gaea's eyes were half-open.

I awake, drawled Gaea, amused. I am powerful, Leo Valdez, more powerful than you could ever imagine. Your friends have only three more days left. What can one do in three days?