31: LEO

CH 31-LEO

When Jason ordered Leo to leave, Leo was at first hurt and quite sad. But as time ticked slowly by, he felt less hurt and more angry. Seriously, where did Jason get off? Couldn't he see Leo was trying to help him? Jason didn't deserve a friend like Leo, thought Leo as he furiously turned the Archimedes sphere in hope of finding the correct combination.

He worked for about half an hour, and every single combination failed, which did nothing to lessen his frustration. Suddenly, someone knocked at the door.

Leo hesitated, then called out, in the coldest tone he could muster, "Who is it?'

"Jason," called back a low voice. "Can I come in?"

Leo didn't hesitate this time. "Sorry."

He heard a brief silence on the other side of the door. Then -

"Look, man, I'm really sorry if I offended you."

"Been there, done that," Leo quoted. "There are exactly sixty nine different booby traps on this door. If you try to come in, you will almost certainly fail." 

He heard the doorknob turning and immediately facepalmed himself. 69 booby-traps, but no. Freaking. Lock!

A moment later, Jason was standing in the doorway, wearing a clean purple t-shirt and blue jeans. His blond hair looked damp so Leo assumed he must've showered before. 

"'Nything I can do for you?" Leo asked.

"Yeah," Jason said. "You could stop being a moron and listen to what I have to say!"

"How about..." Leo pretended to think. "no."

Jason took a step forward threateningly, and for a moment Leo thought Jason was going to fight him. The chances of him beating Jason in a fight were like, 0,00000001 %. Great. But just then, Jason halted, and brushed his hair out of his eyes.

"Okay, Leo. It's your call. I just want you to know that I'm sorry and I didn't mean what I said." Jason's blue eyes looked straight into Leo's.

"How thoughtful," Leo mimicked. "Close the door behind you."

Jason took a deep breath, like he knew that was coming. Then he turned abruptly and walked out of Leo's cabin, slamming the door behind him.

Leo breathed himself, feeling somwhow 'tingly' all over. He felt shaky. That was the first argument he'd had with Jason.

He felt tempted to go after his friend, and say sorry, but his sense of pride somehow disagreed. It felt nice to be on the attackers side: the one who was mad, rather than the one who was suffering from being mad at.

He flopped down on the bed, pondering what he was going to do, when he suddenly heard screaming from the top deck. Immediately, Leo thought, what if Jason was somehow hurt, and the last thing he'd said to him was to get out?

He jumped out of bed, grabbed his tool belt, and crept upstairs. There, he heaved a sigh of relief. It was only Jason and Annabeth arguing. He was about to turn back to his cabin, when he froze in his tracks. Annabeth had screamed his name.

He immediately crept up to the top of the stairs, flattening himself to the ground, and listening.

"NOT MY FAULT," Annabeth was yelling. "AND AS IF YOU WEREN'T A COMPLETE JERK TO LEO!"

"HE WAS THE ONE BEING A JERK TO ME," Jason shouted back, his face contorted in rage. "HE SHUT THE DOOR IN MY FACE!"

Leo felt a stab of pain, at knowing Jason thought him a jerk. Jason was his best friend!