6: ANNABETH

CH 6-ANNABETH

Gaea definetely came in first place on Annabeth's "Worse Monsters" list. Problem was, there was no way to avoid Gaea. She came whenever she wanted, wherever.

As soon as Annabeth lost consciousness, the visions started. She guessed Gaea's idea was to torture her mentally until she would die. She would show her the worst things that Annabeth had ever seen in her life, and make her relive each one of those moments. She would pull out her worst fears from her mind, and make them real, showing them in the worse light possible.

She was seven years old again, living alone in alleyways, weeks before Luke and Thalia found her. The monsters kept coming, and she kept fighting.  She suffered from loneliness and isolation. The only reason she’d managed to stay alive was because of Athena.

Gaea’s voice suddenly rang in her head.

You really think the reason you survived so well was because of your mother?

“Um, yeah.”

You’re mistaken. I was the one to protect you, to send monsters after you, so you could train. I was the one that helped Luke and Thalia find you. I knew you’d be the one I would sacrifice for my wake, so I needed you groom you into the strongest female demigod. Without me, once again, you would have died long ago.

“I don’t believe you. And I could’ve survived without your help!”

Oh really? Let’s see.

The scenes re-winded, just like in those old video cassettes Annabeth used to watch.

She was seven once more, a runaway, but this time, no demigods or satyr came to her rescue.  She was dying slowly from famine, exhaustion, and serious wounds that were infected. Hours of suffering turned into days, days turned into weeks, each second, the pain getting worse. Even though in real life this all happened in seconds, to her, it felt like an eternity.

The images shifted. She was back in Tartarus, but Percy wasn’t with her. Behind her, something moved. Before she could react, a large black mass lunged at her and sank her fangs into Annabeth’s neck. She cried out in pain. This is what would have happened if Percy hadn’t been there to kill Arachne, she thought.

You see how hopeless this all is? Gaea said.

The visions changed once more. She was on her quest, following the Mark of Athena, in hopes of finding that stupid statue she’d risked so much for. She was collapsing the cavern with the shrine to Mithras, and as she pushed through the wall, found herself falling, finally landing hard on her ankle. The agony she felt at the moment… she couldn’t even put it into words.

When she thought she’d pass out, even though she had already passed out, Gaea switched the scenes to live mode.

Annabeth immediately felt back home. That is, until she saw herself and Percy.

She was back in her room in the Argo 2, just where she’d left off , before Gaea had very rudely interrupted her philosophical thoughts. Except this time, she was watching herself sleep, which was kind of creepy.

She looked dead. Her skin was pale, and looked like the kind of skin dead people have. Her hair, if possible, also looked dead. She could only imagine what her friends were thinking.

What she saw next made her want to cry until the world ended.

Percy sat beside Dead Annabeth, at the edge of her bed, holding her hand. His eyes looked wet, and after a little, she saw a tiny tear slide down his brooding face. Real Annabeth gasped. In all the years she’d known Percy, she’d never seen him cry.

He seemed to be talking to himself. Annabeth inched closer.

“-all my fault. I should have been paying attention. Sorry Annabeth… I’m so sorry. When I find Gaea, I’ll kill her myself. I’ll do it for you.”

Real Annabeth balled up her fists. “Gaea, if I’m dead, and you’re responsible, so help me I will-“

Shh… Listen.

Percy continued his monologue.

“Gaea says if I sacrifice myself, she’ll wake you up. I know I shouldn’t. but still… Give me a sign Annabeth. Something.

It’s all my fault. Where was I when this happened? All my fault… all my fault…”

He continued mumbling like this.

Real Annabeth couldn’t help it anymore. She started screaming at him. “It’s not your fault Percy! Shut up! Shut up! Stop blaming yourself! You idiot! You moron!”

He didn’t give any sign of having heard.

Annabeth sobbed. She felt guilty of having yelled at him. But she couldn’t help it anymore. She hated seeing him like that. It was all too much. Just too much...

“Percy,” she whispered, “don’t sacrifice yourself. Please. It’s practically suicide. Listen to me.”

Percy kept mumbling.

“Gaea, take me away from here,” she pleaded.

With pleasure.

Annabeth closed her eyes, but it only got worse.

Millions of things ran through her mind, like a slide show. Visions she’d never wished to see, thoughts she’d never wished to have imagined or heard.

She fell to her knees, covering her ears with her hands.

“Stop. Gaea, make them stop…”

Gaea cackled, her laughter sounding like an evil witch’s, starting off really low, and growing louder and louder.

Oh dear, sweet, Annabeth. We’re going to have so much fun.

Yay! this chapter's finally posted!

Sorry, I know I haven't updated in forever. this week was exam week, so I barely had time to write anything. after 2 hours, I think we can declare this chapter done.

Question: are our chosen POVs okay with you guys? (Piper, Annabeth, Leo, Frank) if you'd like a change, i'm sure we can arrange something.

This chapter ss dedicated to partygirl237, for reading, voting, commenting, adding our story to her reading list, for following, and wishing me a happy birthday. yep. a very awesome child.

(I need a catch phrase. ideas? if we choose your suggestion, you'll get a deddie!)

~Tess, a.k.a. Uffagus