28: PERCY

CH 28-PERCY

Hazel wasn't kidding when she said "Follow the Mist". And Percy had no idea what that could've meant.

"Hazel, are you sure about this?" Percy asked again.

"Not really. But it's all we've got," she said.

Percy and Hazel had been wandering around for what felt like hours. He wasn't exactly sure where they were, but he was at least 80% sure they were in Greece. Most probably.

Man, did he suck in geography.

He was so lost in thought he hadn't noticed that Hazel started jogging again. Percy quickened his pace to catch up. "Not that I don't trust you, but how do you know where to go?"

"I don't. But In my dream, the person who spoke to me said that I'll know where to stop once we find it. But we have to get there soon if we want to have enough time to finish the quest. So I guess we should just keep our eyes peeled and search for clues."

"Right that, Fred Jones," he said, realizing too late Hazel wouldn't get his Scooby-Doo joke.

That thought was confirmed when Hazel stared at him blankly. "Never mind," he muttered.

They jogged in companionable silence for awhile, which gave Percy a long time to think about, well, everything. He wondered how Frank and Piper were doing with their quest, and if Annabeth had started hers with Jason. He hoped they weren't giving each other too much of a hard time. Percy had a feeling they might be the team that would have the most trouble getting along.

And why did the gods put him and Hazel in the same quest? As far as Percy knew, he and Hazel made a pretty good team. Heck, they'd been in plenty life-or-death situations before and had obviously gotten out of them (together with Frank, of course). Plus, they had become good friends almost instantly. So why put them together?

Then again, he remembered when Gaea told him he'd be the only one not to go on a team quest, that he'd have to go on his own to meet Gaea and keep his promise. In the end, Leo was the one to be left out. Why the sudden change? Was it because of Calypso?

Just thinking about Calypso sent Percy into a whirlwind of emotions. He couldn't quite get how he felt about her just yet. Definetely not love, because he'd gotten over her and she and Leo were obviously the perfect match. Definetely not hate either, because he couldn't entirely hate someone, and Percy could kind of understand her reasons for cursing him and Annabeth. But still, they could've died just because of her, or worse.

 "Hey Percy, are you okay?" Hazel was looking at him with concern. He must've been making a weird face or something.

 "Yeah, don't worry about it. How 'bout you?"

"Quite honestly, I kind of just want to get this all over with, including defeating Gaea. So, you know, we can get a break for once and go back to our normal lives," she said.

"Tell me about it," Percy agreed. "But first, we'll get your amazing Mist powers back." Hazel had been pretty open when Percy asked about her missing powers. Probably their whole quest was about retrieving them, and that was fine by him. He didn't want to sound selfish, but he was happy this wasn't about him for once.

"I hope so." Her voice was full of doubt.

"Hey, don't worry. Should be a piece of cake, compared to all the other stuff we've accomplished." Percy felt a need to reassure her, kind of like a big brother would do.

"I know, it just feels so weird not to have my powers anymore. It's hard to describe. It's like waking up one morning and feeling like something's missing, but you can't figure out what."