35: LEO

CH 35- LEO

Within ten minutes, Leo could see the island of Ogygia looming in the semi-sunrise.

It's funny how something could be so close yet feel so far, Leo thought as his stomach gave another of those alarming twists.

You can do this! Come on! Chef Leo!

He shook his head. He couldn't convince himself.

The island was now dangerously close, and Leo tried to stop himself from hyperventilating. Was he ready for this? He could smell the smell of moonlace, and all the other beautiful plants Calypso grew in her garden.

He was so close.

Leo closed his eyes. And when he opened them, the raft had already set onto the sand.

His stomach gave the most intense twist yet, churdling along with all his insides.

He stood up, got off the raft, and collected the crystal and the sphere. He dusted off his jeans - hoping he looked okay - and set up off the beach. He knew Ogygia like he knew his cabin in the Argo II: everything came back to him as he walked up the beach and into the dining pavilion.

"Calypso?" he called out.

No answer.

He walked around the pavilion, feeling like at any moment someone would jump out at him, as in a horror movie.

He entered Calypso's garden, and... there she was.

He felt like a truck had just hit him from the way his stomach lurched. She was wearing a peach-colored blouse and blue jeans, her hair was in a ponytail, and standing besides her was a boy.

Leo stepped back, then stepped forwards. Finally, he crept along a row of bushels, and finally was behind Calypso and the boy who he recognized to be Nico di Angelo.

Nico di Angelo... what was he doing here?

Leo felt a pang of jealousy. Did Calypso like Nico? He made sure to stay quiet and listen.

"I have to get out! My friends, Reyna, Gleeson, Clarisse, and Chris... they'll be worried!" Nico was saying in his angry voice.

Nico looked the same as usual: like someone who'd been living on the streets. Battered leather jacket, black jeans and Stygian iron sword. His features though, didn't look as... crazy as they'd been when Leo last saw Nico.

"The raft only appears for heroes I love!" Calypso replied, just as angrily. "Therefore, it shall never come for you."

That's my girl, Leo thought.

Nico growled in frustration, and Leo actually almost backed into the row of plants behind him. Nico could really be scary. 

"Please, find a way. Call a god or something. I need to get out of here," Nico said.

"I'm not some magical human being!" Calypso yelled back. "The gods do not cater to my every whim!"

Leo decided if he was to appear, it should be now. Channeling as much of "Leo Valdez" as he could, he rose, tapped Calypso's shoulder, and said, "Howdy."

In a blur Calypso turned and uttered the longest and most piercing scream Leo had ever heard. He slapped his hands over his ears, and complained loudly about his eardrums. But his complaining was cut short as Calypso engulfed him in the tightest hug.

Finally, he pulled away. "Good to see you to." His voice almost broke.

Calypso moved back, and the relief etched onto her face was replaced by confusion. "How are you here? No one finds Ogygia twice."