8: FRANK

CH 8-FRANK

Finally, after nine hours, the seven (well, six without Annabeth) were having a meeting.

Who knew it would be so hard to host a meeting? They could've had one right after they found out about Annabeth, but then Piper just had to faint (not that he was blaming her) because of Gaea. Percy refused to leave Annabeth's side the whole day. Later, there was a leak on the right side of the boat, which they had to fix right away to avoid a flood. Hazel got so seasick she couldn't get out of bed. They tried to fly by air, but the aerial oars stopped working. They fixed that too. Mere seconds after lifting off, a flock of Stymphalian birds attacked the ship, causing quite a bit of damage. They repaired everything, but returned to the sea. Everyone was exhausted, so Leo decided they would take a break, even him, and he put Festus on auto-pilot.

A few hours later, Jason, waking up from his nap, organized the meeting in the mess hall. Hazel somehow managed to convince Percy to join them, though he didn't look happy about it.

Frank already knew about Hazel's vision (she'd told him about it earlier), but the others didn't, judging from their grim expressions. All they needed was bad news,  but that's all they seemed to be getting. They needed some good news, and Frank could give that to them by telling them about hedge's baby, but he reminded himself that Hedge had made him promise not to tell anyone. Even if it meant keeping his friends in a bad mood, frank was planning to keep that secret. Oh, and all the others too.

"Okay, now back to Annabeth," said Jason.

"What else is there to say?" asked Percy. He pulled his chair out from the table. "Can I go back to her now?"

"Percy, pull your chair back to the table and listen, 'cause there is actually A LOT to say." Frank turned to the voice coming from behind him. Piper had finally come to join them. She kissed Jason on the cheek and sat down on he seat next to him. Frank guessed they had made up.

Percy obeyed. "fine. but make it quick."

"So, we all now why Annabeth is... the way she is, right?" she said.

Everyone nodded.

"She must have done it for a reason. I mean, why now? Why Annabeth? Why not one of us?"

Percy looked nervous. "Uh, I don't know. Why would I know? There's not reason for me to know. Don't look at me!"

Hazel laughed. "Percy, you're a really bad liar. Come on, spill. We're your friends, you can trust us."

His gaze dropped. "I know I can trust you guys, but I can't trust... you know-who. She might overhear."

Leo scratched his head. "actually, I don't know who."

Jason elbowed him, which made him yelp. "Hey, what did I do?" he demanded, rubbing his arm.

Piper rolled her eyes. "You know who we're talking about. G-A-E-"

"Okay got it! no need for a spelling bee! Those things give me headaches, " Leo complained.

"Anyways, " Piper continued, "we gotta start thinking of solutions, or we might be too late. Annabeth will be the way she is... permanently."

Frank noticed she was trying to avoid saying the word "dead".

They remained in silence for a few minutes, thinking. No one suggested anything pertinent.

Frank piped up. "Why don't we pass over the subject for now? We'll think of something later. Jason still needs to tell us what was really written on the message."