23: PERCY

CH 23-PERCY

Everything had been peaceful until the sea monster decided to attack. Really? Percy thought.

Well, everything except the dreams Percy had while he was asleep.

After his shift on guard duty was over and he'd wished Annabeth good night (he really didn't feel like leaving her but she'd insisted), Percy feel asleep right away, only to be overwhelmed by disturbing nightmares.

Percy found himself set in a widespread landscape which bordered the sea. He could smell the ocean air, even from a dream. He was sitting behind Hazel on a galloping horse, none other than Arion himself. He knew they were heading somewhere important and they had almost reached their destination, when suddenly, Arion skidded to a halt so abruptly Percy almost fell off. He wanted to ask what was wrong, but his lips wouldn't cooperate. The horse seemed agitated, like some unknown presence was bothering him. All of a sudden, Arion got up on his hind legs and flung Hazel and Percy off, crashing them into a car, and he took off in the opposite direction. 

His dream shifted.

Percy was set in a miniature version of a labyrinth. Nico led Reyna and Coach Hedge through the narrow passages, his Stygian iron sword unsheathed in front of them. "I think Clarisse and Chris headed down this way," puffed Hedge, pointing to the left passage.

"How can you be so sure?" asked Reyna.

The Coach sniffed the air. "I can smell them."

"Are you sure that's not us you're smelling?" questioned Reyna.

He shrugged. "Maybe." But they continued down that way anyway, breaking into a jog.

"I knew we shouldn't have separated," Nico said, shaking his head in dismay. 

"It was the only way to get away from Medusa," Reyna snapped.

Medusa? Percy thought. We killed her ages ago, didn't we?

"I thought you said Percy killed her a few years ago," continued Reyna, addressing to Nico, as if reading Percy's mind.

"He did," said Nico. Percy could detect some- was it pride?- in his voice. "But she must've escaped while the Doors of Death were open."

"How did he kill her?" asked Reyna.

Nico's eyes hardened. "I don't know. I don't know every fact of Percy's life, do I? It's not like he ever told me."

Why was Nico talking so bitterly about Percy? Was he holding a grudge about something?

The trio arrived in a large circular room with roman mosaics covering the walls. In the middle of the room sat a green skinned woman with snake hair. "Finally, you have returned," she hissed, and as she was about to face the three, Percy's dream changed once more.

The seven demigods were atop a small mountain, possibly the Acropolis. What was left of the Parthenon was in ruins (well, even more ruined than before). Percy wasn't with the Seven, for some reason. They had all gathered around a body (Percy couldn't tell if it was male or female) that lay on the dusty ground. He could tell they had been crying, but no one dared to move or touch him or her.

"'An oath to keep with a final breath'," Jason breathed.

Percy sat bolt right up in bed. His heart was humming. He looked at the clock: 7:33 am. The swishing of the water calmed him down slowly. He hoped they weren't talking about him for the "an oath to keep with a final breath". Sure, he'd made the sacrifice, but that line didn't necessarily have to be about him. Right?