64: PERCY

CH 64 -PERCY

Life was good. There really was no other way to put it; it was just that good. Yeah, yeah, call Percy crazy for even daring to say something that could jinx him, but he didn't care. As cheesy as it sounded, Percy was 100% certain that nothing could ruin this moment.

Okay, maybe 99.9% certain. Of course there was a minute chance that Gaea could somehow get her hands on some Tartarus rejuvenating youth juice, and come back all like, Surprise, demigods. I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.

But Percy didn't have time to think of the endless number of turnouts or possibilities. He was too busy enjoying this thing called life. This thing that - up until now - had always come in second in Percy's, well, life.

Percy's brain scratched its head, confused. Whatever, this was getting way too philosophical for Percy. According to Apollo, now was time to party.

Everything surrounding the demigods began to shimmer, and suddenly, they found themselves in a grand hall, typical Greek columns that stretched all the way from the ground to the ceiling, from which hung dozens of chandeliers that screamed Renaissance. It was as if they'd combined all the ages of history into one large party room.

And Percy knew why this hall rang a bell: it was the same one from all those years ago, where they'd celebrated Atlas' defeat and Percy and Annabeth had had their first real dance. Yes, Percy remembered it well. He also remembered Athena's intense gray eyes gazing into his, telling him about how she disapproved of his and Annabeth's relationship and how his fatal flaw would soon unleash Doomsday. You know, the typical mother-in-law to son-in-law talking-to.

If he should even consider Athena a mother-in-law. He and Annabeth weren't engaged... yet. Gods, if Athena heard him call her that or read his mind... Percy would be one very dead son-in-law.

It was ironic how he feared for his life when Athena, a goddess, was threatening it, more than when Gaea was alive and Percy was about to be sacrificed on the Stone Table.

"Hey." Annabeth nudged him, snapping him out of his thoughts. "You look good."

She was beautiful. Percy noticed that along with the room change, the gods had also cleaned themselves up as well as all the demigods, though if Percy had gotten to choose what to wear, he would've swapped the tuxedo with a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Percy felt a breeze, and all of his cuts instantly disappeared as if the gods had just Windexed the room with nectar. And Annabeth... He didn't know if it was the godly magic doing its work on all of them or what, but she was glowing. Her eyes shined with a new light in them.

Percy became just as tongue-tied as their first dance. "So do you."

Soft music began to play that sounded at once modern and ancient. Everyone cheered once more, and the demigods each grabbed a partner or gathered into groups and dove right in.

Percy wanted to join in, but there was something he couldn't identify, something holding him back. He could feel that that same something was holding Annabeth back too, as well as the rest of the seven and Calypso. Leo's mother, Esperanza, took a step back to leave them some privacy. She went to join Hephaestus, casting a loving glance back at her son. Percy was so happy for Leo.

And, it was time to make amends. Percy locked eyes with Calypso, asking her a silent question. Are we good? She gave only the slightest of nods, the smallest of smiles tugging at her lips. Percy instantly felt a hundred times better, if that was even possible on an evening like that one.

"So... some party, huh?" Leo said, breaking the silence. "Nice décor and everything. Except I personally would've left out the tapestries depicting the horrifying deaths of our demigod ancestors, but you know, to each their –"