32: PERCY

CH 32- PERCY

  Percy wasn’t expecting to find Hazel so easily.

  But there she was, sitting on top of a grassy hill (or as grassy as it could get in Greece), kind of Sound of Music style, except for the “twirling around” part. Arion was with her. He was munching on what Percy guessed was a piece of gold from Hazel’s outstretched hand. At least she found the horse.

  Now all that Percy had to do was to go up the hill, and somehow get Hazel to forgive him -although he had no idea how to get that last part done. Percy knew from experience that girls, and just people in general, didn’t forgive so easily, and it would be especially hard in this case since Percy had said some pretty mean and unforgivable things.

  He’d come to a conclusion that Gaea had probably had a little part in Percy’s and Hazel’s argument. There was no way he would’ve ever said that stuff to Hazel, who had acted so unlike herself.

  Piper had once recounted a similar situation she’d been in, when she was on the quest with Jason and Leo to free Hera (why they agreed to do it, Percy still didn’t understand). While battling Medea, the witch somehow made the boys speak exactly what was on their minds about each other. They said some hurtful things, but they luckily made up after. Hopefully it would be the same case for Hazel and Percy.

  Percy crossed the street. “’Hazel, first off all, I’m sorry’,” he said, practicing what he was going to say to her. “No, too direct. Um… ‘Hi Hazel, before you say anything, I want you to know I didn’t mean what I said, and I’m sorry’. Hmm. Too long… ‘It’s not you, it’s me.’ No, that’s a break up line.”

  He was so distracted he almost got hit by a motorcycle. Then a car. Then another motorcycle. He ran the rest of the way while cursing, not daring to look back to see if another vehicle was coming.

  “Don’t people respect stop signs here?!” he protested. Of all the ways to die, getting hit by a scooter driven by a 90 year old was pretty lame by demigod standards.

  Finally, he got to the other side of the street without getting killed, somehow. He searched for Hazel and Arion, but they were no longer on the hill. Percy looked around, and finally spotted her at the base of the hill, but on the other side. She was staring at Percy, perplexed. People were looking at Arion the same way. Percy called to Hazel, but she just looked away. Then she climbed on Arion’s back and they took off in the opposite direction at the speed of light.

  “No wait!” Percy cried. “HAZEL!” Everyone must’ve thought he was nuts; a boy with an American accent chasing after a girl on a horse that had just disappeared.

 When he was sure he’d lost her, Percy gave up the chase. He put his hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath. “Now what?” he asked himself. “NOW WHAT?” he screamed at a pigeon, throwing up his arms. He was sort of hoping the bird would answer. Instead, the pigeon cocked his head to the side, then flew up to join his bird buddies, probably to tell them something like, Hey! You won’t believe what I just saw!

  Percy sat down on a railing overlooking the sea. He was so upset he didn’t even enjoy the view. They’d come too far to fail only because of an argument that had been set up all along.

  Slowly, the smell of sea water that wafted upwards calmed him down a bit. He couldn’t lose hope now. He’d been to Tartarus and back, for gods’ sake! He wasn’t going to let this small obstacle get in his way.

  “You hear that, Gaea?” he said to the dirt,” I’m not your pawn anymore! I’m a… a rook! YEAH!” Percy didn’t know much about chess, but he was pretty sure a “rook” was higher up in the food chain than a pawn.