49: PIPER

CH 49- PIPER

Piper wasn't in the slightest bit tired. She knew she should be, after all their ordeals, but she wasn't. Around her, her friends all slept like rocks. Jason still hadn't recovered from his latest hit by a rock, but Piper wasn't that worried. He'd been there before, and his head rested in her lap, his breathing steady.

Annabeth stirred in her sleep. "Percy... future...," she mumbled, and settled her head more comfortably on her jacket, which she was using as a pillow. 

Percy. How could Piper have forgotten about him? The more time that passed, the more Piper felt like she'd made an incredibly wrong decision in letting him leave them. She would never forgive Jason if he did.

As if magically, Jason stirred in his sleep. Little by little, his eyes unglued themselves open. 

"Jason!" Piper grabbed her waterbottle, and offered it to him. "How are you feeling?"

"Perfectly okay, seeing as this' happened to me like a million times," he joked, sitting up, and wincing. He took a long drink of water, then seemed to be flushed back into reality. "Where are we? What's going on?"

"Helen and Annabeth think we're in some sort of Labyrinth." Piper pointed up at the glowing blue sign above them, that still hadn't faded. 

"The Labyrinth? The Labyrinth or Pasiphaë's?" asked Jason.

"They don't know," Piper said wearily. Suddenly all the fatigue she should've been feeling overame her and she yawned, bringing tears to her eyes.

"You're tired. Sleep. I'll take watch," Jason offered, his blue eyes kind and gentle. Technically, there was no need for "watch" as they were in a cell, but when you were a demigod you could never be too careful.

Piper wanted to protest, but she already felt her eyes closing. She opened her mouth, but Jason silenced her with a kiss. "Just sleep," he said, and Piper fell into a heavy, dreamless sleep.

***

The clattering of a door awakened them. A tallish man, probably a demigod entered the room. "We need a female sacrifice!" he yelled.

Piper rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. Annabeth, Helen and Jason were already on their feet, swords at the ready. She quicky grabbed the dagger, that still felt unfamiliar in her hands, and stood.

"You take no one," Annabeth said. 

The man slashed out with his sword, which Jason easily deflected. "You take no one," Jason repeated.

"Besides, Gaea needs two sacrifices," Helen piped up.

"The male sacrifice is already taken care of, deary," the man answered, with a quirky grin. "We only require a female sacrifice now. You are all demigods, right? Excellent. Gaea will be very pleased."

They already had a male sacrifce? Of course, Piper knew who it was. But the others didn't, and surprise was evident on their faces.

"You're not hurting any of us." Piper pushed her way to the front, and hoped that she didn't look like someone who'd just woken up. "You're not taking anyone, so you can leave or fight us. If you choose to fight, well, it's your loss."

The guard hesitated. Piper's heart leaped - he wasn't immune to charmspeak. 

"Drop your sword," she said in her most commanding voice. The guard obeyed.

"Sleep," she added, and he dropped to the ground. In a few seconds, he was snoring.

"Great job!" Annabeth high-fived Piper, and it almost felt like the old times. "Okay guys, now let's get out of here."