56: PERCY

CH 56 -PERCY

The sudden change in temperature matched the twist of events, overwhelming Percy and making him feel feverish. He was also scared his nose would start to bleed because of that, but at the moment, he had more important things to worry about.

He knelt next to Annabeth and brushed the hair out of her face. She didn't respond. Her eyes were just... empty. He had never seen her look so hollow.  "Annabeth, look at me," he said, taking her hands. She finally looked back at him pleadingly, and her expression seemed to say, Take me away from here.

Percy was still couldn't believe Mr. Frederick Chase was gone.  Just like that. Sure, Percy had been through many battles, he had even been to the Underworld, but only now it seemed to really be sinking in. One minute, you were there, alive, and the next, you're just gone. Your presence is wiped off the surface of the Earth. That is what makes death scary, Percy thought. Knowing it can happen at any time.

That was why he had to cherish every moment he had, whether it was his last or one of the many to come. He stared longingly into Annabeth's eyes, and felt more strongly about this than ever before.

"Come on." He helped Annabeth up, Jason doing the same for Piper. Percy couldn't imagine what Piper must've been feeling. She had lost her best friend and her father on the same day. Then Percy remembered how Leo looked; he seemed devastated. Lifeless. Percy said, "You ready, Supreme Commander?" knowing he needed to help him feel better. But when he turned around, Leo wasn't there.

"Where's Leo?" Percy asked Jason.

Jason's eyes widened. He hadn't noticed Leo's departure either apparently. "We have to find him!" he said, beginning to run back into the tunnel with Piper at his side. Percy wrapped his arm around Annabeth's waist and they took off after them. He soon didn't have to support her when she was able to run, though rather mechanically.

They found Leo throwing flame balls at a wall which was on the verge of collapsing. Jason flew over and pulled him away just in time. "Khione and Gaea! They're the same person!" he screamed. "We have to stop her before - "

A burst of cold air, like an icy fist, hit Percy on the back. He screamed when he felt something grab onto him and it started pulling him back down the tunnel. 

His friends scrambled after him, and Annabeth, finally snapping out of her daze, was the first to reach him. She lunged for his hand, grabbing just his fingertips just before he was pulled over the cliff. Then Jason grabbed on to Annabeth, and Piper grabbed on to Jason, and Leo grabbed on to Piper. "Come on, pull!" Percy felt like he was going to be ripped apart.

"Hang on, Percy!" he thought he heard Annabeth say. "I'm not letting you fall! N - Never again!"

Percy could almost imagine Gaea's cackling laughter. Why does this seem so familiar? It was just like Tartarus, except this time, they were literally falling to their death.

Percy couldn't understand how Khione's ice wasn't melting in the intense heat. But he couldn't look down to see, he didn't want to look away from Annabeth. If he was to die here, he wanted her face to be the last thing he would ever see.

His fingers started to slip from Annabeth's grasp. Khione's pull was too strong. Finally, she let go. "No!" Annabeth screamed. I love you, Wise Girl. He closed his eyes.

Percy's back came into contact with something. He had already reached the bottom? Was this what death felt like? He didn't feel any pain. He hesitantly opened his eyes.