30: ANNABETH

CH 30-ANNABETH

All Annabeth was asking for was one peaceful afternoon. But of course the world had decided otherwise. The minute she had fallen sleep after laying down to take a nap, she could feel her conscience depart from her body and was drifted away to Zeus-knows-where.

She was surrounded in darkness. Mist clouded her vision. All she could hear was the echoing sound of her footsteps. How long had she been walking?

"Leo?" Annabeth asked out loud, startled by the sound of her own voice. "Jason?"

Suddenly, her foot must've gone over a ledge, because she found herself falling and screaming her head off. Her hair whipped around her face as she flailed her arms around. She started to feel nauseous. It reminded her all too much of Tartarus, except this time it was almost worse because Percy wasn't there.

As if on cue, Annabeth saw a dark figure fly towards her and grabbed her around the waist. She immediately stopped free-falling as the person started to fly upward. "Percy?" she asked almost too hopefully.

She heard a grunt, which she guessed was a no.

Soon after, they found a ledge big enough to stand on and the person let her off there. He had cropped light colored hair and electrifying blue eyes that she could see through the mist.

Jason.

"Thanks," Annabeth muttered.

Jason nodded and stuffed his hands in his pockets. She waited for him to say something. But he didn't.

If  you don't feel like talking, Fine, she said in her head. She crossed her arms and pretended to look around at their surroundings, even if there wasn't anything to see. Jason kicked a pebble.

The silence was almost unbearable.

"Where do you think we are?" Annabeth finally asked.

"Dunno," was Jason's curt response.

"Okay..." At least he was talking.

"Maybe we should go all the way down this pit," she continued. "Whatever sent us here obviously wants us to see something, not just stand around and wait."

"I guess."

Annabeth couldn't help but add, "I doubt it leads to Tartarus, if that's what you're afraid of."

Jason's eyes flashed dangerously. "I'm not afraid of anything," he snapped.

"Fine." Then she did what was maybe the most stupid thing she'd ever done.

She jumped off the ledge.

Yeah, maybe it wasn't smart, but she was tired of the guy's attitude. If he wasn't going to get anywhere, Annabeth might as well be the person to take the first step forward.

Or in the case, downward.

Annabeth didn't even look back to see if he was flying down as well. It wouldn't have mattered anyways.

She didn't know how much time passed as she fell. The nausea came and went. Sometimes, she could've sworn she heard voices, but she couldn't understand a thing they were saying. Each time, though, the voices grew clearer and clearer. Soon enough, she was able to make out a few words. "The fox... must find... time... revenge... Zeus... his mother..." One of the voices sounded familiar, but it was hard to tell who it belonged to.

Suddenly, a blazing light appeared in front of Annabeth's eyes, obliging her to cover them. For some reason, the wind stopped rushing around and that terrible feeling of nausea quickly went away. When the light died down, the voices had grown a lot louder and she opened her eyes to see a kind of Iris-message, maximized at least ten times so it looked like a movie theater screen. But that wasn't what made Annabeth gasp. Somehow, she had stopped falling and was instead floating in midair. It was almost like she was flying, but without Jason's help.