45: PIPER

CH 45 -PIPER

Piper didn't remember the last time she'd been in such a good mood. Jason's cool hand was tightly laced into her own warm one. Leo was back and safe. Percy and Annabeth loved each other. Frank and Hazel, were, of course, Frank and Hazel. And Helen, her friend was flirting with a bracelet vendor so she could get a discount.

Piper just felt so happy. She felt beautiful too. Maybe happiness was what truly made someone feel beautiful.

It was almost like she, the sad, depressed Piper was looking down on the beautiful girl with the messy braid on one shoulder, and the sparkling brown eyes, with the perfect boyfriend leaning down to kiss her forehead, and the best friend right next to her.

But except, this time she was in the girl's body. And it felt so good.

She noticed Percy say he was going to the bathroom, and kiss Annabeth on the lips. She sensed that Percy was kissing Annabeth a bit intensely for someone who was just taking a bathroom break, but whatever.

"Are you hungry?" Jason asked her. "Want me to buy you a pastry?"

She smiled up at him. "Sure."

As Jason let go of her hand to stroll to the pastry shop, Helen came rushing up to her friend.

"Oh-em-gee, Piper!" she squealed. "Look, I got this bracelet for only ten euros when it should've been forty!"

"Congrats," Piper said, smiling for the second time in a minute which was basically a world record.

Helen wandered off, and Jason was still walking towards the far off pastry shop. Feeling really content, Piper walked over to the shade of an olive tree and lay down under it, just looking at the peaceful blue sky.

"Hey."

Piper stifled a scream, and immediately pulled back into a sitting position, dagger at the ready.

Why did the dagger feel so awkward in her hand?

Oh, because it wasn't Katoptris.

"Relax, it's just me," Percy said, as he sat next to her.

"Weren't you at the bathroom?" Piper spluttered.

"Well, about that. I need your help."

"Yeah?" 

And Percy spilled. Piper listened to him tell her about his promise to Gaia, but she still didn't understand what he was about to do.

"So, you're just going to go... fight Gaia? Cool. I'm in."

Percy shook his head. His sea-green eyes were stormy. "No. You don't get it. Gaia was going to take Annabeth. I promised her that I would sacrifice myself."

"Yeah, but obviously you aren't going to actually do that. I mean..." Piper trailed off as she saw the look in Percy's eyes. "Wait. You are?"

Percy looked heartbroken as he nodded. "Look, Piper. Please don't tell anyone. I trusted you with this because you're the person who I have the least emotional connection with out of these seven. But I couldn't let Annabeth go mad like that. I couldn't. And you understand that don't you?"

"You can't just..." Piper started to say. But then she realized. "I get it, Percy. What do you want me to do?"

Percy looked relieved for a short moment, but then a determined kind of fear clouded his eyes again. "I need your charmspeak."

***

"Hey, Piper, seen Percy?" Annabeth and Leo wandered up to her, and Annabeth plunked down next to her.