48: PERCY

CH 48 -PERCY

After a trip to the bathroom (because he actually really did have to go), Percy found himself at the base of the Acropolis. He was only at the bottom of the large rocky hill but he could already spot hundreds of monsters from there.

And they were all awaiting him.

Percy couldn't help but marvel the fact that the mortals were seeing something completely different and actually believed it, thanks to the Mist. There were a bunch of tourists running down the Acropolis, screaming, "GIANT PENGUINS!" and a few workers who were trying to reassure them by saying, "You're probably just seeing things, people! The heat has made you delirious!"

Percy shook his head in amusement and started his way up the dusty mountain. He was immediately greeted by a giant he didn't recognize, although he was sure he'd seen him somewhere before.

He was a lot smaller than most giants, for starters, but he had the usual dragon-scale legs and wrinkly face. A meat cleaver the size of Percy hang at his side. With one swipe of that weapon, Percy knew he would be dead meat.

"Who are you?" he asked fearlessly.

A tourist ran by, glancing at the giant, yelling, "Giraffe on the loose!"

The giant straightened himself. "I am Thoon," said the giant, "bane of the three Fates, and I'm here to lead you to your death." He straightened himself and tried to look intimidating, but it was a hard look to pull off when you apparently resembled a giraffe. Percy almost felt bad for him.

He nodded appreciatively. "Sounds ominous. I'm ready!"

A look of surprise crossed Thoon's face, but he immediately got back in character. He pulled out his meat cleaver and pointed it at Percy. "Walk," he ordered.

Percy thought he knew heat. He didn't. The farther up he marched, the hotter it felt. His sweaty t-shirt was sticking to his chest. He thought the soles of his sneakers would burn through. Percy figured, if he didn't die at the hands of Gaea, he would certainly die at the hands of the scorching heat.

The higher he got, the more monsters there were, and the more anxious Percy got. He even recognized some old foes, like Euryale and Stheno, Agrius and Oreious, the Nemean Lion, the Minotaur, even Geryon, and he realized just how many enemies he'd made over the years. Was he really the good guy? Or more importantly, how did they all regenerate so quickly?

Percy was somewhat happy that he didn't spot Luke anywhere.

All the monsters hooted and cheered and bowed mockingly. If they had the choice, they would probably attack him. Those with weapons did poke him and they swiped at him with the flat of their blade.

"All hail the conquering hero!" said Euryale.

"The victor!" said Echidna.

"The greatest of them all!" said Agrius.

The monsters cackled.

Percy's hand immediately went to his pocket, where Riptide was. But he wasn't stupid; he knew he couldn't take on all these guys at once, much less since they were seething with revenge. And besides, he didn't have much of a choice. This had been his decision, his oath, and he had to take in on with pride.

He couldn't fight this.

Some of the monsters must've realized this, because the empousa, Kelli, made a pouty-face and said, "What's wrong? Not used to being on the other side of the blade?"

Percy thought up a snarky comment, but he kept his mouth shut. Kelli laughed.

Being in this situation and seeing the monsters that circled and jeered at him, he was sure he had seen a similar scene in a kid movie, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. (A/N Do you any of you have an idea? Comment below!")