17: FRANK

CH 17-FRANK

Frank didn’t know what to make of the situation. So many overwhelming things had happened in the last few hours it all seemed unreal.

Leaving Helen of Troy off for herself was harder than he had anticipated. It’s not like they were best buds or anything, but he, Hazel, and Helen had bonded more than anyone could imagine. They’d managed to change Helen’s loyalties, and in return, she promised she would fight alongside them in the final giant war.  They could use all the people they could get.

Hours later, they had returned to the ship and healed all their friends (or so they thought). Everything seemed to finally be falling back into place. After he and Hazel explained their previous day, Hazel revealing that it was her birthday (why hadn’t she told him?), and a visit from Hecate, they finally found out what they had all been dying to know: Percy and Annabeth’s experience in Tartarus.

When Annabeth requested to leave, Frank knew something was up.

“I don’t think the medicine healed her completely,” Piper said grimly.

Everyone nodded in agreement.

“She was actually a lot better in Tartarus then she is now,” Percy admitted, and went on to explain their adventures in that hellhole.

When Percy got to the part about the aurai, at the mention of “Calypso”, Frank could’ve sworn he saw Leo flinch.

“Who’s Calypso, again? Her name rings a bell,” said Hazel.

Percy seemed to have trouble deciding how to describe her. “Well, funny story actually-“

He was interrupted by loud continuous smashing sounds coming from down the hallway.

“Oh no,” muttered Percy, as if he knew who or what was causing the racket. He sprinted out of mess hall, the rest of them at his heels.

He led them straight to Annabeth’s room. The hallway was so crowded with demigods Frank could barely get a glimpse of what they were looking at.

Finally went the uproar died down he was able to look inside the room.

Annabeth wasn’t there, but there were trances of her presence all over the floor. The mirror that hung on the wall (or what was left of it) was completely destroyed. Frank had to be careful not to step on the shards of glass.

The big question was: had Annabeth done this? Or someone else? (A/N ok that was two questions but bear with me here.)

“Where’s Annabeth?” asked Piper, panicked.

Everyone turned towards Percy. He seemed to usually know where his girlfriend was, like some sort of tracker device was plugged into him and Annabeth.

“Upstairs. She must be upstairs,” he replied, and once again, they followed him to the upper deck.

                                                                        ***

Frank decided Annabeth was indeed completely insane. Why she was climbing up a mast, he didn’t know. But what he did know was that she could get seriously hurt.

Piper was one step ahead of him, though. “Annabeth! Get down here right now!” she shouted, her charmspeak working at its maximum.

He watched in horror as Annabeth let go of the ropes and fell towards the deck screaming.