✰ chapter sixty ✰

2325 words
When I woke, the sun was pouring in through the glass double doors which led to the balcony. Tints of orange and pink painted the walls and furniture, similarly to in the Gryffindor dorms.

The scalding water in the shower burned my neck and back as I stepped under it. As a way to memorise healing spells, my wand hand mimicked the motions displayed in the books. My eyes closed as my head tilted back, rested against the wet tiles, allowing water to stream down my body. When I finished my shower, I wrapped a fluffy, green towel around myself tightly.

I picked up my wand from the bedside table and cast a drying charm on my hair and body. I dropped the towel to the floor, slipping on the clothes I had prepared the day before. Narcissa had left a corset for me to wear beneath my clothes, saying it would help with my uniform. St Mungo's provides the uniform, and I was yet to know which style I would be wearing.

"Don't be stressed," I scolded myself as I tied half of my hair up into a bun.

"Well, that's what I came to tell you." I whirled around with my wand raised to find Draco leaning against the door frame.

"I could have been naked. Besides, it's six in the morning, why are you awake?"

"I have to send my cousin off on her first day," he smiled warmly.

Draco was wearing his pyjamas, his blonde hair still dishevelled from his sleep. He kept his left arm bandaged, to heal and hide the cursed tattoo. I twisted a lock of my hair to keep its curls defined as I smiled at him. Draco nodded his head and backed away, out of the room and into his own.

Taking in a deep breath, I visualised the hospital and clear space to apparate. I twisted my wand around in my hand and gripped it tighter, apparating to St Mungo's.

I gasped and stumbled forward, falling onto somebody. They wrapped their hands around my waist and pulled me straight, inches away from pressing our chests against one another. My right hand still held my wand tightly and my left raised to their forearm, holding it to keep myself upright.

"Are you alright?" A tall person with dark hair smiled down at me.

"Yes, sorry. I'm not great at apparating," I blushed. His skin was tan, and a single black curl fell into his eye. The corners of his lips raised in a teasing smirk as he stepped back and allowed me to stand on my own.

"Thank Merlin, you're both here on time." A small man came bustling around the corner and interrupted us before we could introduce ourselves. "I'm Angus Vaus, very nice to meet you, Miss Black." He extended his hand, which I slipped my own into, greeting him as purebloods expected. Narcissa and Bella had been adamant that this should become a permanent habit.

"Lyra is perfectly fine."

"And you, Mr Petrov."

"Call me Andrei." He had an accent, Russian, I think. Andrei and Angus shook hands firmly, and Angus turned and motioned for us to follow.

Andrei held out his hand to allow me to walk first, and once I stepped in front, he rested it on my back. A pureblood, surely, or maybe half-blood like me. It was common courtesy for the men to be gentlemanly. Draco behaved just like this.

"I am Andrei Petrov, I attended Durmstrang."

"Pleasure to meet you. Lyra Black." I looked up and saw him smiling, and he did the same. He was probably the same height as the twins, with a more athletic body and squared jaw.

"You were at Hogwarts, I was there for the Triwizard Tournament. If I'm correct, you danced with Cedric Diggory."

"Yes," Angus interrupted me.