✰ chapter eight ✰

782 words
I walked through the school gates with my hand in Cedric's, on our way down to Hogsmeade. The boys had taken the passages as usual, but I decided to go the normal way.

"Are you alright?" He smiled warmly.

"Yeah, I'm okay, the boys aren't talking to me, that's all."

"Well, they must be pretty stupid to ignore someone like you." I smiled and held his hand tighter.

"Where are we going first?"

"Three Broomsticks, I guess. Do you want a Butterbeer?"

"I'd love one." We walked into the warm restaurant and the sweet smell of Butterbeer made me hungry.

"Two Butterbeer's please."

I could hear Cedric, so I walked to an empty booth and sat down, waiting for him to join me. I looked around the room and noticed two heads covered with ginger hair, one talking and the other staring intently at me. My heart sunk to my stomach and I felt almost sick. Here I sat on a date with someone while Fred Weasley was five meters away staring at me. I pulled my eyes away when Cedric sat down leaving a Butterbeer in front of me.

"Can we go down to the pet shop, I want to get Eddie some treats?"

"Eddie?"

"My owl. I haven't sent a letter in a while, and he hates the owlery."

"Alright we'll get the treats then I'm going to take you somewhere." I gave him a quizzical look but didn't question him.

Fred and George left not long after we arrived, both of them glancing at me before leaving.

"So, the Weasley twins are upset. Does that mean no pranks or double the amount?"

"I'm not exactly sure yet. I'm hoping for double as long as it's not me," I chuckled.

"So how is everything going with your Dad?"

"Well, I hope he's smart enough not to try to get back into Hogwarts, but then again," I trailed off.

"Well, you can always stay in my dorm if you don't feel comfortable."

"I'll hold you to that, Diggory." We talked about school and classes until we finished our Butterbeer's and left the Three Broomsticks.

We walked into the shop, owls were perched on the walls in cages as well as rats and toads, but cats wandered the shop climbing over benches. I pulled some ferret I knew Eddie loved and bought it, putting it in a bag and casting a spell, so it didn't smell.

"So, where are we going?"

"Well, that's a surprise, you just have to trust me."

"You're not going to throw me in a lake or kill me or anything?"

"No, just follow me." I laced our fingers together, and he led me out of Hogsmeade where there was a small thin path. The path went around a mountain with rocks on either side and was covered with a thick layer of snow. We turned the corner to see a cave that we used as a shelter.

There were bits of snow in my hair and on my clothes which melted, making my clothes wet and sticky. I shivered slightly and wrapped my arms around myself, but of course, Cedric managed to notice and pull his scarf off immediately. Once he placed it around my neck, I heard a soft growl from the other side of the cave and jumped backwards. Cedric put his arm in front of me in a protective stance.

"Wait. It's okay, you're okay." I pushed Cedric's arm from in front of me and walked slowly towards the figure of the dog standing in the shadows. I watched it step out into the light, revealing its skinny body and matted hair.

"Lyra, I don't think you should d-"

"Are you hungry, big fella?" I slowly pulled open the bag containing a ferret I had saved for Eddie and threw it on the floor in front of me. The large black dog lunged for the ferret straight away, almost swallowing it whole.

"Where do you think he came from?"

"I'm not sure, it must have been a long journey. Look at the poor thing."

"Well, I'm sorry, big guy, but Lyra and I have to head back to Hogwarts." Cedric and I left the cave and began walking back to the castle, but I made a mental note to come back tomorrow with some food.

"So, are you going to teach me how to play Quidditch or not?" I asked Cedric.

"Alright, go get dressed into something easier to play in, I'll meet you back here." He shooed me off back into the castle to get changed.

I've never seen snow so I don't know anything about it so don't attack me