✰ chapter sixteen ✰

1636 words
"sit down please. and now the moment
you've all been waiting for, the champions selection." all three schools sat in the great hall awaiting to hear the three names.

it was completely silent as everyone waited in anticipation for what the goblet of fire would do. the hall was packed and everyone was shoulder to shoulder. i managed to find cedric pretty quickly in the crowd, surrounded by his friends.

dumbledore approached the blue flame and it glowed red. a small slip of paper came out and he unfolded it.

"the durmstrang champion is, viktor
krum." everybody cheered and krum came up to the front leaving out a back door.

"look 'mione," i gave her a small nudge and she blushed.

"the champion from beauxbatons, fleur delacour." i watched a girl with silky blonde hair glide up to the front and through the door just like krum before her. the final name came out and i held my breath.

"please don't be cedric," i whispered to myself.

"the hogwarts champion, cedric diggory." my heart sunk and i looked over to see him with a bright smile on his face and his friends cheering him on. all of hogwarts was cheering as he made his way up to the front.

"excellent! we now have our three champions! but in the end only one will go down in history. only one will hoist this chalice of champions, this vessel of
victory the tri-wizard cup!"

everybody froze and watched as the flames glowed red another time and i knew exactly who it was going to be this year. there was no way for this kid to catch a break.

"harry potter. harry potter? harry potter!" harry walked slowly to the front following the older students.

"he's a cheat! he's not even seventeen
yet." a voice yelled but nobody responded.

the hall sat in shock for a solid five minutes before the professors had had enough. there was hushed whispers as people cussed harry out.

slowly everyone began leaving the hall to go to bed but i decided to wait for cedric. krum and fleur walked out first both giving me small smiles wishing me goodnight despite not knowing me.

then the tall brunette with a yellow scarf wrapped around his neck walked out. i ran up to him and he lifted me into his arms and i wrapped my legs around his torso.

"i'm gonna kill you cedric diggory," i mumbled into his shoulder.

"i know princess." he put me down and i heard someone clear their throat.

"mr diggory, miss black. i think it's time for bed, don't you?" mcgonagall said walking past us.

"do you want to come back to my dorm?" he whispered. when we got to the hufflepuff common room it was empty and all the others in his dorm were asleep.

"it had to be you didn't it?" i grumbled quietly. he had given me one of his jumpers and a pair of sweatpants to wear to sleep.

"i have to admit. i didn't expect to get it," he laughed quietly.

"imagine if harry had one year where nobody tries to kill him."

"you don't think he put it in."

"no offence to harry but he's not smart enough to work something out. and i don't think he'd want more people looking at him." i fell asleep not to long after beside cedric with his arms wrapped around me.

----

i sat with harry the next morning in the gryffindor common room reading our letters from my dad.