✰ chapter eighteen ✰

1012 words
"oh look, mum's sent me something." ron, the twins younger brother had a large box placed on the table catching gryffindor's attention. i sat eating avocado toast beside fred and lee watching the boy.

"oh no," fred mumbled under his breath. i shot him a worried look and he just ignored me.

"mum sent me a dress?" he said lifting it up and holding it against his chest. it was a dark brown with red frills on it.

"well it does match your eyes. is there
a bonnet?" harry asked teasing his friend. he lifted up a frilly white bonnet holding it against his chest.

"ginny these must be for you," ron shouted down the table.

"i'm not wearing that it's ghastly," she scoffed. after hermione broke the news that it was for him he sat down grumpily finishing his food.

ginny had come out of her shell a lot more this year. it seemed everyone had forgotten about her first year and she gladly put it behind her.

----

"the yule ball has been a tradition of the tri-wizard tournament since its inception. on christmas eve night, we and our guests gather in the great hall for well mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward. and I mean this literally because the yule ball is first and foremost, a dance." professor mcgonagall had gryffindor sitting in a room separated by gender.

fred, george and i were sitting opposite of one another and making silly faces when mcgonagall wasn't looking.

"the house of godrick gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. i will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons." i could hear fred and george joking across from me.

"now to dance is to let the body breathe, inside every girl a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight."

"something's about to burst out of eloise midgen but i don't think it's a swan." ron said making me shoot him a death glare, which he cowered away from.

"inside every boy a lordly lion prepared to prance. mr weasly, will you join me," she asked ron.

he stood up and walked over to her cautiously. after she guided his hands to her waist the twins began wolf whistling at their brother. the music began and mcgonagall guided the younger boy around the room the twins soaking it up.

she ordered everyone up and fred and i met in the middle. we danced around the room making sure to knock over as many people as we could.

after the school learnt about the ball everyone began planning on how they would invite a date. lee and i sat together talking about how he would ask a girl from beauxbatons he had met.

"what if, instead of all this you just ask her?" i said looking at the list in front of him.

"i guess i have to because, here she comes." he left me sitting alone to ask the girl with dark hair in her silky blue uniform.

"so what on earth are you doing sitting alone in the library?" someone asked sitting beside me. turning my head i saw a tall head of brunette hair and a yellow scarf.

"i was helping lee ask a girl to the ball. and what are you doing exactly. because if i can recall, you're also alone in the library."

"well i came to ask a pretty girl to the ball," he said making my heart sink.

"oh, and who are you planning on asking?" i said looking away from him.

"well i was thinking about asking angelina johnson." my heart broke and i wanted to just leave.

"angelina is nice, i'm sure-"

"lyra, i was joking. i came to ask you," he said chuckling. the blood rushes to my cheeks and i looked at him. "so, princess? will you come to the ball with me?"

"well not if you call me princess."

"oh don't be like that," he said nudging me.

"i'd be honoured," i laughed.

when we got to the hall i sat beside the twins finishing our work when i could hear fred scribble furiously beside me. the twins rarely did their work so i glanced over to see the words; 'get a move on or all the good ones will have gone'

i looked at him but he just smiled throwing the page at ron. after pointing out that the twins didn't have dates george turned to angelina miming his invitation which she accepted.

as people began leaving we watched cedric and cho walk out together before she stopped him talking quietly.

"i see cho chang has beat you to it." fred and george said in unison. at hearing the twins talk snape walked over wacking them with his book.

"actually, cedric already asked me you little toe rag." this made the girls turn and look at me.

"when? why didn't you tell us?" angelina asked.

"when lee decided to leave me alone in the library. has anyone heard from him?"

"he's spending the day with a girl from beauxbatons," george smirked.

when i left, harry walked out with me, as we passed cho chang in the corridor he asked her to the ball. she had already been asked by cormac a gryffindor in his year.

"not to worry harry, i'm sure there will be hundreds of girls willing to go with you."

on our trip to hogsmead i separated from the boys and went with alicia, katie and angelina to shop for our dresses. we walked into the shop to see dresses lining the walls and floating in the air. we drifted apart looking at the different dresses. i began sorting through dresses pulling out ones i liked and slinging them over my arm. the four of us tried on many dresses, but before long we all found one.