✰ chapter forty nine ✰

1289 words
although last night fred and i were sort of able to patch things up it didn't really feel like it. he lay beside me with his hand thrown protectively over me and quiet snores escaping him. my fingers were tangled in his messy hair, attempting to brush out the knots.

"why can't we always be like this?" i asked aloud. his head turned and buried into my stomach.

"i'm usually the first to be a prick," he said. i jumped in shock and let out a grumble of profanities. "didn't mean to scare you love." his morning voice was deep and raspy and when he spoke his chest vibrated.

"well georgie did say you have a thick skull," i teased.

"oh did he now?" fred pushed himself up and lifted his hands to my waist and began tickling me. i squealed and laughed trying to push him and catch my breath.

he paused for a moment and dropped his head to rest against mine. our eyes locked and he tilted his head so that his lips pressed against mine. the kids was passionate, both our lips perfectly fitting and our tongues dancing with each other.

"i'm sorry," he pulled away.

"it's okay freddie. but if you pull that shut again i will personally curse you." he laughed loudly and sat up fixing his messy hair. he pulled himself out of the bed and began getting dressed from the day, kissing me as he left for the uncompleted shop below us.

i climbed out of the warm bed and sat in front of the desk by the window. four letters rested there, three addressed to me and a fourth one with neat handwriting addressed to fred. i'd never seen the address it was sent from and the blue seal with french didn't mean anything to me.

i picked up my three letters and opened them, one from my uncle and my dad, one from narcissa and one from percy. the letter from grimmauld place was lighthearted and written in two different kinds of handwriting. remus would begin paragraphs and sentences and my dads messy scribbles would interrupt his neat cursive.

the letter from the malfoy's was yet another invitation to return to the manor over the summer holidays. i kept thinking about what draco told me and i tossed the letter into the bin without a second thought.

percy's letter was also an invitation. it was filled with details about his work and personal life, then inviting me for lunch this week. he was well aware of the fact i now live with the twins and he made sure to express his thoughts on it. this was percy, whether you liked it or not, from the day i met him he's been like this so i replied to his letter accepting the invite for lunch.

when i finished replying to the letters and well as writing to lee and angie, i wandered down the stairs to the shop. opening day was just over a week away and the banners on the outside were a clear indication of how large the shop would be. hogwarts students would walk past and cheer at the weasley name or ask their parents to come back on opening day.

fred was setting up the register at the front desk and george was stacking a shelf with pink vials. when fred noticed me he opened his arms to pull me into a hug.

"what's for dinner?"

"there's an order meeting. mums cooked as usual," he smiled tightly snaking his arms around my waist.

"we could always skip and go get takeout," george interrupted.

"oh don't be like that. go get dressed." they both left the shop and changed into some clean clothes and then we were on our way.

i held fred's hand as he apparated into the kitchen of grimmauld place. the order and the weasley family wandered around the kitchen and hermione, sirius and remus sat at the table talking.

"oh please don't tell me you still can't apparate," ron said noticing out joined hands.

"it's so hard and every time i do it wrong," i complained.

"she's got me so there's no need to learn," fred smiled hugging me.

i hugged everyone and then sat down bedside hermione and remus. i rested my head on his shoulder and he held my hand tightly.

"everything with fred okay now?" he whispered so that only i could hear him.

"yeah, we sorted it out." although sirius was my dad i was raised and spent my whole life with remus. he was always the person besides the twins who i comforted with. "how are you feeling?"

"not too bad, theres still got two days and snake is making me a potion."

"that's the least the can do for getting you fired. slimey git."

"lyra," he said sternly.

"i know." he kissed me on the top of my head and he left the room. i joined in on hermione and my dads conversation waiting for all the order members to arrive.

the meeting finally started when mad eye limped through the door and remus and tonks followed behind him with pink cheeks. i eyed remus curiously and then turned to my dad to ask but he also sat there watching him with a frown.

i turned to hermione to see if she had noticed but she happily chatted away with ron and ginny.

"right. let's start." mad eye began the meeting, talking for about twenty minutes while i listened every now and then. my head was somewhere else but i wasn't sure exactly when. i was pulled back to reality when george sat beside me, nudging me carefully.

"alright?"

"yeah, just dreaming."

"how much more risks should we take!" molly shouted, pulling george and i away from the conversation.

"molly-" mad eye tried to speak.

"severus is already there, that's enough."

"actually, i agree with mad eye," remus said. mrs weasley was astonished, her mouth dropping and her hands held out in confusion.

"we want to get a spy as well as severus in there. it gives us a better perspective on what's happening and more details. you need to be smart molly."

"so you're going to send an auror in there?" arthur asked.

"no. that's to obvious. we need someone already in there."

"what does that mean?" ron asked , swallowing the sandwich he had been eating.

"lyra will be going in."

i looked up in shock, my jaw dropping as i looked at the man who was once my professor. there was a silence in the room for a moment when we all just looked at each other.

"NO-"

"YOU BETTER KEEP-"

"DONT EVEN THINK-"

the twins, my dad, re, and mrs weasley all shouted in protest jumping out of their seats and knocking over chairs. tonks was startled and nearly fell out of her seat at the sudden erupt of yells.

"she already goes to see-" mad eye began.

"she's a child!" molly shouted.

"she's 17!" mad eye shouted back.

"enough! like mad eye said, i'm 17. i want to do this."

"lyra!" fred shouted.

"it's my decision. i want to help."

"are you being fucking serious!" fred lifted up the table as he stood and flipped it onto its side. "you're not going." he said firmly.

"you can't tell me what to do fred."

"they'll kill you."

"i'm not going to die fred!" the rest of the room was quiet, listening to our shouting.

"they're fucking death eaters lyra!"

"i'm not going to become one."

"enough. she said she'll do it, she's doing it," mad eye said.

merry christmas everyone and happy new years.

what year at hogwarts are you in?