✰ chapter twelve ✰

3022 words
I left the room while the other two stayed watching over Ron, Dumbledore pulling me back in just as I was rounding the corner for Gryffindor tower. The second we stepped into the hospital wing, the three third years began talking loudly.

"Headmaster, stop them. They've got the wrong man."

"It's true. Sirius is innocent." Harry and Hermione said, running up to us.

"It's Scabbers who did it," Ron yelled from his bed.

"Scabbers?"

"He's my rat, sir. He's not really a rat. He was a rat. He was my brother Percy's rat. But then they gave him an owl."

"The point is, we know the truth. Please believe us."

"I do, Miss Granger. But the words of three 13-year-old wizards and a fifteen-year-old will convince few others. A child's voice, however honest and true is meaningless to those who have forgotten how to listen.

"So what on earth do we do Professor?" I asked him.

"Mysterious thing, time. Powerful and when meddled with, dangerous. Sirius Black is in the topmost cell of the dark tower. You know the laws, Miss Granger. You must not be seen and you would do well, I feel, to return before this last chime. If not, the consequences are too ghastly to discuss. If you succeed tonight, more than one innocent life may be spared."

Harry and I looked at each other in confusion wondering what the two were going on about. Hermione was nodding along, completely understanding the coded message he was trying to tell us. Ron was sitting on the bed, trying to figure out what we were saying.

"Three turns should do it, I think. Oh, and by the way. When in doubt, I find retracing my steps to be a wise place to begin. good luck." He left the room leaving Harry, Ron and I confused.

"What the bloody hell was that all about?" Ron and I asked.

"Sorry, Ron, but seeing as you can't walk."

Hermione lifted a necklace from around her neck and threw it around Harry and me, spinning with something. I watched the room around me going backwards in time at a fast speed only then understanding what was happening. Where did she get a time turner?

"What just happened? Where's Ron?" Harry asked worried about his friend.

"7:30. Where were we at 7:30?" She asked him.

"I don't know. Going to Hagrid's?"

"Come on, and we can't be seen." She grabbed both of us and began sprinting through the school.

"Hermione! Hermione, wait." Harry shouted.

"Hermione, will you please tell me what it is we're doing?" I asked her. Suddenly we stopped. I watched as another version of Hermione pointed her wand at Draco, my younger cousin.

"You foul, loathsome, evil little cockroach."

"That's us." Harry pointed out.

"Hermione, no! He's not worth it." Ron said.

"This is not normal."

"This is a time turner, Harry. McGonagall gave it to me first term, this is how I've been getting to my lessons all year." She told him.

"You mean we've gone back in time?"

"Yes. Dumbledore obviously wanted us to return to this moment."

"Clearly, something happened that he wants us to change," I said to him. We watched on and as I thought the other Hermione was going to walk away she turned around swinging her fist at the blonde boy.