12. Vampire Hunting

Jennie and Jisoo have been the closest friends since they were little. They did almost everything together and were inseparable since they met.

After they graduated it was Jisoo's first time being uneasy around Jennie. She was worried about the path she was aspiring.

"Say Jen, are you really sure you don't want to go to university with me?" Jisoo asked softly, pouting at her best friend as she was busy rummaging in her basement.

"I'm sorry Chu." Jennie turned around for a second to kiss her cheek before she went back to the cupboard, searching for tools.

"Pleeaaase~" Jisoo begged, pestering her friend.

"Your uni is not far from my home. It won't change a thing between us." Jennie promised.

"That's not it..." Jisoo said quietly, her feet fidgeting as she lowered her head. "I-I just.... do you really want to hunt vampires...? That's a dangerous job...."

"Look at this, found it." Jennie pulled a rubber mallet and an aluminium stake out, Jisoo flinched at the sight and backed away instinctively.

"Scared?" Jennie smiled, walking over to her friend and hugging her, the weapons still in Jennie's hand as she wrapped her arms around her back. "I know you are worried about me but I have studied and worked a lot for it already."

Jisoo stiffened, being unable to reciprocate the hug. "But-"

"It'll be fine!" Jennie pulled apart and pecked Jisoo's nose. "I already have a team! I'm not going on hunts alone!"

"..." Jisoo lowered her head.

"Just come with me to work tomorrow, you will see we are completely prepared." Jennie suggested, patting Jisoo's back.

The stake, came in touch with Jisoo and that almost made her jump, even though it wasn't the sharp end.

Jennie was a bit confused by Jisoo's apprehensiveness she apologised and put the tools back to where she got them from.

Because what Jennie was completely unaware of was that Jisoo is a vampire herself.

Jisoo really didn't want to go but she couldn't reject her friend since she had no good excuse to spare. So they went into the gloomy forest the next day.

Jennie was already wearing her gear and carrying her weapons. The night vision goggles covering her eyes, a cross necklace around her neck and a stake and mallet tied on her waist along with a small bottle of holy water. Lastly a heavy but thin sword on her left hand.

According to Jennie's teacher a vampire dies when decapitated, impaled through the heart, or exposed to sunlight.

This was true, however, nowadays vampires invented rings they wear on their fingers that allowed them to resist the sunlight. That's why no one suspected Jisoo to be one.

The humans would lose it if they knew vampires were living among them. After all their countries are still divided and the war hasn't ended.

Why is Jisoo in the country of humans? Her mom is a human and her father is a vampire.

They met when her father who is a soldier was stationed near her home.

Her parents decided to live in the human territory when she was born. They didn't want her to grow up in the vampire territory, where she'd have a much harder life due to internal fights and cruelty. They wanted her to have a carefree life and not be forced to murder.

"There might be vampires running around." Jennie grabbed for Jisoo with her free hand. "Stay close to me."

The irony made Jisoo cringe. If Jennie only knew. Would she put that stake on Jisoo's heart? Would she behead her? Jisoo should be fearing for her life and go home.