53. Just Friends

The equations drawn on the blackboard with chalk turned the whole lecture room silent. They stared at it with exhausted little faces. Some whispered to their seat neighbours and asked them for help. Others already gave up and waited until their docent would tell them the solution.

The docent in question was busy in her seat at the corner of the room. She only gave the students such a hard task because she wanted to stall time to chat with her friends.

Jennie typed on her phone, her face scrunched up to a thoughtful expression.

Those friends of hers were also working at this university. They were currently discussing a get-together with some new colleagues.

"Ms. Kim...." A young man called for her, raising his hand. "I have a question."

Jennie put her phone aside as that was her signal to do her job. "Yes?"

•••••

Jennie groaned, stretching her limbs after she exited the uni, somewhere past 10pm. That's extremely late and she was the only one who was still there.

She worked on grading the final math exams of the entire semester, she also fell asleep and woke up multiple times while doing so.

There were still some papers left that she put in the back of her car and decided to finish at home.

Her phone beeped. While she stopped at a red light, she finally picked up her phone that was beeping ever since she started driving.

She noticed that she had tons of unread messages and missed calls.

57 missed calls from Daymaker🌞

Jennie's lips cracked into a smile. She called her back before she put the phone on speaker. She dropped it on the empty seat beside her and stepped on the gas pedal.

"Hey Jis-"

"Jennie?" The voice on the other end asked urgently before the brunette could even say two words.

"Hey, are you okay? Oh my god, I was so worried! Why don't you pick up your phone?"

"I was-"

"Did you even care about how much your absence affected your dog's mental state?"

"I don't think of you as my d-"

"Kuma is literally shaking! He keeps barking mama mama!" Jisoo insisted, shuffling on the other line like she was searching for something.

"Listen!" Jisoo announced. "Come on, Kuma, tell her..." Then a soft bark followed.

"He sounds happy-"

"He is a mess!" Jisoo fussed, sounding like she was the one who was currently having a mental breakdown. "When someone is out for an unusual amount of time while it's dark that person should inform their family in advance, otherwise the poor family will suffer from tremendous amounts of worry and-"

"Chu! Breathe!" Jennie interrupted with a loud giggle. She bit her bottom lip to stop herself from smiling so hard. After all she might cause a traffic accident and that would give Jisoo an actual heart attack.

"Kuma and I are so mad right now. He told me to change the locks." Jisoo told her with a stern tone. A bark which Jisoo described as 'agreement' followed. This removed the laugh bubbling from Jennie's throat.

"What? No, I'm sleepy. I don't want to sleep in the car." Jennie retorted right away, sounding only a bit worried. There's no way Jisoo would lock her out of her own house.