70. Tough Love 2🔞

After the recent incidents, Jennie presented herself as the epitome of normality, while her obsessive thoughts still lurked beneath the surface.

Sometimes she feels guilty about giving her girlfriend false hopes, making her feel like they are moving towards a healthy direction, yet she flushes her guilt away. Jisoo didn't have to know everything as long as she was safe. Jennie did what she did and what she does, for her. It's all for her sake.

After all, why burden Jisoo with the truth when she can be kept blissfully ignorant?

She convinced herself that the sacrifices she makes and the manipulation she employs are justified by her love for her girlfriend. The ends justify the means.

Today Jennie planned a surprise for Jisoo. She rented a private yacht to take her girlfriend and her so-called friends along. The deck was dotted with plush couches and cushions beckoning the guests to relax and enjoy the breathtaking views of the ocean. The tables were full of crystal glassware, silver cutlery and cooked meals by renowned chefs.

Jennie popped the champagne bottle, staring at Jisoo who was talking to her friends and giggling with them. The brunette gave them a sharp look. Soojoo was sitting too close to her girl.

Jennie quickly made her way over to them with the bottle, she contemplated smashing it against her head... She shook her head, filling their glasses instead.

"Thanks." Soojoo thanked her politely. "I had no idea Jisoo had such a cool girlfriend. She talks about you all the time but we've never seen you before."

"Right? We almost thought Jisoo made you up!" Soojin laughed.

"Hey!" Jisoo pouted, feigning hurt.

"You can't blame us. You always gatekeep your girlfriend. How come we haven't met her earlier?" Yujin probed.

"Oh... Jennie is just shy..." Jisoo answered sheepishly, scratching her neck.

The truth was that Jennie of course wasn't interested in them. She would prefer it if no one was stealing Jisoo's attention from her. She can't trust them.

"Really?" Soojoo raised her eyebrows in disbelief.

"It's true." Jennie pretended to be all bashful. She lowered her head as her cheeks donned pink. Jisoo's friends were awing at her and telling her to come sit with them.

"Baby," Jennie pecked Jisoo's check as she squished herself between Jisoo and Soojoo. "Do you mind getting my handbag from the cabin? I forgot it earlier."

"Sure." Jisoo easily responded, standing up to get it.

Now that Jisoo left, her friends were all over Jennie, quickly showering her with questions. Jennie answered politely and even friendly. When they were done, she decided to start more small talk on her own.

"I'm so glad I convinced Chu to invite you all!" Jennie flashed them a bright smile.

"She didn't want us here? Is she worried we will steal you from her?" Soojin laughed.

"No, that's not it," Jennie responds, her smile taking on a malicious undertone. Her voice became sweetly venomous as she continued.

"She was just not sure about it because... well, she's been feeling distant from you all. She was talking about how she feels like Soojoo always belittles her achievements. It's like she can never measure up to your successful career. Even though you studied together, she feels like you are way above her."

Jennie's words land like a punch, causing Soojoo's expression to twist in surprise and hurt.

"I... I never meant to make her feel that way." She stammered.