29. Déjà Vu

It was a white Christmas Eve in New York.

Jennie stretched her limbs and watched the blankets of snow from the window in her office. The mug of coffee before her was still a bit too hot for her, so she repeatedly blew air on it before she took a sip.

It's been four years since she left her small hometown to live overseas. During those years, Jennie has accomplished a lot.

She became a fashion designer, she formed her own firm and brand, and is currently searching for inspiration for her latest collection which will be worn by models during the Paris Fashion Week.

Every now and then, she still missed her home, her parents, her friends but she doesn't regret the choice she made when she left.

She was living her dream and all it took was courage and hard work. Even though that certainly was a lot for her and at days she found herself crying over the phone to her sister, telling her that she was going to come back and that it was a mistake.

But her family was encouraging and that gave her energy to keep trying.

Finally, with the creative break and search for inspiration as excuse to the public, she had a chance to go back home. It was going to be the first holiday she will spend with her family ever since she left.

She was not only excited but also nervous for it. She told them she was coming back tomorrow but maybe they are not going to be happy to see her since she was gone for long.

Her family would probably forgive her but she is sure, she doesn't have a single friend anymore in that town. She will have to live with it.

"Working hard?" Her business partner Chahee tapped her shoulder and laid a folder of documents on her desk. "You should go take the plane already. I can handle the rest."

Jennie glanced up and bit her bottom lip. It wasn't that she really had to finish what she started before she was leaving. She was just stalling time.

The silence and fearful look must have gotten that message across because Chahee chuckled.

"You weren't this nervous when we held a presentation in front of our investors." Chahee raised her eyebrows.

Jennie lowered her head and sulked, letting out a drawn-out sigh. Apparently her nervosity reduced her to only giving pitiful looks in place of words.

"It's not your parents, is it? You Facetime them everyday." Chahee interrogated with folded arms.

She received a small nod in response and then it dawned on her. "It's about her. Your ex you left behind." Chahee connected the dots as Jennie's face fell and she started to sweat profusely.

"Don't tell me you are not over her yet!" Chahee laughed and just joked around but when Jennie's face paled further and her lips curled downwards, she stopped laughing and gasped.

"Jennie! It's been four years!"

"I know!" Jennie hissed defensively, finally opening her mouth.

"Oh, sweetie..." Chahee pinched the bridge of her nose. "You are in for a rude awakening...."

"No... I'm aware." Jennie lifted a palm, disagreeing. "I know very well she has someone else. I mean, she is so pretty and sweet, it's not even a question for me. I'm just afraid to see it."

"This is bad indeed." Chahee pulled a swivel chair over and sat beside her, taking the mug of coffee from her business partner and drinking it herself.

"It is, isn't it?" Jennie groaned, dropping her face to the desk.