40. Guardian

Everyone is assigned a guardian angel when they are born. Jennie was no exception to that. Her guardian angel Jisoo did her best to make her life easier and help her overcome hardships.

Jennie noticed that her guardian looked and acted different than those of her friends according to the stories she heard.

She assumed it's because she was a poor orphan, so she believed she was sent a more special one to help her. Hers had horns in place of a halo, cherry red instead of ocean blue eyes, pitch black wings no feathery white wings.

Jisoo never told Jennie that she wasn't her guardian angel, she was actually a demon.

There was no angel that wanted to look over Jennie because she was sick when she was little. She had a weak body, no parents, no one to care for her. They believed she would pass away soon anyway.

Jisoo who never liked those arrogant angels, took the matter on her own hands and stayed by this girl's side.

She doesn't intend on confessing that to her and therefore pretends to be an angel, because she didn't want her human to feel sad and unwanted.

"How is your human doing?"

Lisa asked casually while using her legs to trip a random man. She chuckled when he fell down and mistook another man for the culprit since he couldn't see her.

"She is doing quite well these days. Tomorrow is her university entrance exam and she is studying like crazy even though I told her I could easily help her cheat." Jisoo scoffed. "It's foolish really."

"I'm more surprised you are still with her." Lisa grinned at her friend while causing mischief in town. "By now you should have corrupted her soul."

Jisoo glared at Lisa angrily. "I told you, I'm just looking over her, there will be no corruption and you better not touch her either."

Lisa chuckled. "I know, I know, you put her on the blacklist of every single demon in town. No one would even think of messing with her."

That's true. Jisoo made sure Jennie wouldn't be the object of anyone's bad intentions, pranks, bad omen or worse. Jisoo came to adore that girl and she wouldn't let anyone hurt her, including herself.

Jisoo floated home late at night after vandalizing a bar with her demon friends. She was surprised to see the lights in Jennie's small apartment still turned on. She should be sleeping.

"Jennie." Jisoo walked through the door and looked for her human. "Why are you not sleeping yet? Do you realise how late it is? And the door wasn't locked. I told you to lock it twice at night." She scolded her.

Jennie tilted her head, her eyes were red and half-lidded, her face a bit pale. She looked so exhausted. She was still at her desk with countless of books.

"Sorry Jichu... I just..." Jennie dozed off for a moment and stopped mid-sentence. "Just..." She yawned. "--Busy..."

Jisoo shook her head disapprovingly. "No more of that human. You are sleeping now."

"But-"

"No." Jisoo denied, folding her arms and staring at her sharply.

"But!" Jennie pouted.

"No!" Jisoo didn't back down. She went to her and picked her up, throwing her on her shoulders while Jennie was fighting against it and kicked her legs around.

"You are sleeping." Jisoo said firmly and tucked her into her bed.

Jennie mumbled under breath and sulked angrily, her cheeks were all puffed up.