71. Princess' Guard

In the Pink Kingdom, King Changmin found himself faced with a predicament. His beloved daughter, Princess Jennie Ruby Jane, was a young woman of great beauty and intelligence but she proved to be quite a challenge when it came to finding a suitable partner.

Despite being in her late twenties, Jennie deliberately repulsed every prince who courted her, refusing to accept their marriage proposals.

King Changmin was growing increasingly concerned about his daughter's future. He successfully married off all of his other daughters at a much younger age, ensuring their happiness and securing alliances with neighbouring kingdoms.

However, Princess Jennie's reluctance to marry was causing a stir among the nobility, tarnishing both her reputation and the kingdom's standing.

"They say her beauty hides a wickedness that repels any man."

"She's too picky, expecting a Prince Charming who doesn't exist."

"Her kingdom is just like her, no progress or growth."

"The king is starting to get desperate. It's pitiful to watch."

Such murmurs often swirled around the civilians.

Today was another day where a courting prince travelled all the way to the princess in hopes of winning her heart. The princess had other plans.

"Welcome, Prince June. I thought we might enjoy a more intimate conversation away from the grandeur of the palace."

He nodded politely and took a seat on a cushioned blanket spread across the grass. He was accustomed to courting noblewomen in lavish ballrooms, this setting was a departure from his expectations.

"Prince June," She whispered, her eyes glinting with an eerie intensity. "I must warn you that there is a curse that befalls anyone who dares to enter a relationship with me. I'm sure you already heard the rumours from my people. They are all true."

June's eyes widened in apprehension. He did not expect such a revelation from the princess.

Jennie continued, her voice filled with a chilling conviction. "Those who become entangled in my life will face endless misfortune and heartache. Illnesses will befall their loved ones, their lands will wither, darkness will follow their every step."

Prince June looked deep into Princess Jennie's eyes, his voice trembling slightly as he spoke.

"Princess Jennie, your warning strikes fear in my heart, but it also reveals the depth of your character. Though I am hesitant to face this hardship, I cannot deny the pull in my heart that draws me closer to you. If it is a curse to love you, then I am willing to face it with courage."

Jennie's jaw dropped at his conviction. That man barely knew her for two minutes! What's wrong with him??

"Prince June, I must be honest with you. While I appreciate your bravery, I fear that you may not fully comprehend the gravity of the situation. The curse I spoke of is not something to be taken lightly."

And she was willing to prove it to him.

When the prince brought his gloved hand forward and took a hold of the princess' petite hands, a gentle breeze suddenly picked up, rustling the leaves of the surrounding trees.

The prince brought her hand forward and kissed it. Suddenly a distant rumble of thunder echoed through the sky, startling the prince and causing him to jump in surprise.

Jennie's eyes widened in mock concern, as if the thunder were a direct response to their brief connection. She couldn't help but suppress a mischievous smile, eager to play up the mysterious and curse-like atmosphere she created by reading up on ​​meteorology with her friend.