Today is the day

Today is the day. Today is the day that I get to marry my best friend.

JJ Maybank. This boy has been everything to me since I could remember.

He has been in my life since I was six years old, I met him in the first grade. I fell off the swings and he helped me up. He made sure I was okay, and asked me if I wanted to play. That's where it started.

Eventually we met the rest of our friends. John B, Pope and Kiara. From the ages of 12-15 we were the best of friends. Getting into trouble, pissing off our parents, growing up.

I had always had a crush on my blonde haired best friend, but it wasn't until we got caught up in a treasure hunt at 16 that I confessed my feelings for him. I can still remember it like it was yesterday.

(flashback)

"JJ stop" I yelled as my best friend stormed away from the group. I'll admit his decision to rob the outer banks' most notorious drug dealer was a bad idea. But I knew exactly why he did it.

I managed to catch up with him and reached for his hand. He stopped in his tracks and yanked his arm away "What do you want y/n" he huffed

"I want to make sure that you are okay, JJ this isn't you." I pleaded with him, trying to get him to realize the mistake he was making. I tilted his head back so that his eyes met mine. I could see the pain and the anger that he was dealing with and all I wanted to do was take it away.

"You don't get it y/n. This is it for me. I can use the money to pay back my restitution. I can finally do something right."

"J... listen to me. I know you think that this is the right thing. But this is Barry we are talking about. You know what he will do to you, to us. I know that the last thing in the world is for us to get hurt." JJ's eyes had made their way back to staring at the ground. "JJ look at me" He shook his head, refusing to meet my gaze. "JJ" I pleaded once more, but his sadness turned to anger. He backed away from me and half yelled "Why do you even care? This isn't your life y/n. I can take care of myself"

As much as I wish they didn't hurt his words, I was in shock at the way that he had spoken to me. Never once has he questioned why I cared about him. But I was damned to let him think that I didn't.

"WHY DO I CARE JJ. WELL LET ME THINK FOR A MINUTE MAYBE BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN YOUR BEST FRIEND FOR YOUR ENTIRE LIFE. OR MAYBE BECAUSE YOU ARE THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD WHO MAKES ME FEEL SPECIAL. OR THE FACT THAT I HAVE BEEN IN LOVE WITH YOU FOR AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER!"  I caught my breath after yelling at him, not realizing that I had just told him that I was in love with him.

He looked up at me a bit confused, and stared for a few seconds before saying anything.

"What did you say?" he questioned

I walked closer to him, closing the gap and placed my hand on his cheek. "I am so in love with you JJ Maybank" Before I knew it JJ's lips were on mine. They moved in sync with each other. Like they were the perfect fit. I was finally kissing the man of my dreams. Once we pulled away he brushed the hair that had fallen around my face behind my ear. He placed his forehead on mine and whispered "I have been waiting all my life to hear you say that"

(end of flashback)

That had been one of the greatest days of my life. After that we had what people would describe as the "perfect" relationship.

Of course we had our arguments, but we never went to bed mad at each other.

People always said that they didn't think we would last, well everyone other than our friends. They knew even before we did that we would live the rest of our lives together.

Once we graduated high school, we both decided that we were going to stay in the outer banks. We both got jobs in hopes of opening our own little surf shop.

Those times were the hardest and were a real test to our relationship. We were both exhausted from working two jobs and barely had any time together. Despite all that we still made time for each other. We were determined to make it last. No matter what happened we always managed to make it back to each other. Because our relationship was worth more than anything else.

When we were 20 we got a little apartment together and things started to look up.

A year later, JJ Maybank proposed to me on our five year anniversary. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

(Flashback)

JJ and I had spent the whole day together, just having fun like we used to before we had adult responsibilities. We went surfing, had a bit of a movie marathon, and then headed down to the beach to watch the sunset.

JJ guided me down to our normal spot on the beach, where there was a beautiful picnic set up.

"J did you do all of this?" I asked knowing the answer

"Of course babe, you deserve the best. So the best I shall give you" He said in the sweetest voice possible.

We sat down and ate pizza at sunset. This was exactly what I wanted. Just to be with him. After we were finished JJ stood up and put out his hand for me to stand up. I grabbed it and he pulled me into his chest. He leaned in to kiss me, and no matter how many times we kissed I still got butterflies in my stomach.

"Y/n today marks five years that I have had the pleasure of calling you my girlfriend. And these past five years have been the best of my life. You are my entire world, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you" JJ said looking deep into my y/e/c eyes. Next thing I knew he pulled out a ring and was down on one knee. "Y/n Y/l/n will you marry me?"

I didn't say anything, I just put my hands on his cheeks and pulled his lips to mine. It felt like electricity when our lips finally touched. I moved my hand down to around his neck and he found his usual place around my waist.

As we pulled away JJ looked down at me, putting his forehead on mine, just like he did when we confessed our feelings "So is that a yes?" he asked

"JJ Maybank, of course I'll marry you" I said with the biggest smile on my face. He picked me up and spun me around both of us giggling. When he finally put me down, he slid the ring onto my finger and put his lips back on mine.

(end of flashback)

That was a year ago. We decided that we wanted to get married on our anniversary because it was such a special day for us.

I was standing in the chateau all dressed up waiting for Kie to tell me it was time.

We wanted a small ceremony with just our friends so we asked John B if we could go to his house since that was probably the most meaningful place in our relationship. He of course agreed, he was also JJ's best man so he kind of had to do what we asked.

We didn't want some stranger to marry us so we asked Pope. He graciously accepted and got ordained online.

Kie and Sarah were my maids of honor, most because I just couldn't pick between them.

I was so excited that this day was finally here, it may not be much but I was about to marry the love of my life. And nothing mattered to me more.

"Y/n" Kie said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah" I said looking up from the picture of me and JJ I had been staring at for the past five minutes.

"It's time"

I put the picture down and sent her a sweet smile. I looked around the house once more and made my way to the door. The girls walked out in front of me and as I walked onto the porch I took one last deep breath.

I opened the screen door to see the love of my life standing around our best friends.

At this moment I was the happiest I had ever been, and I still had the rest of my life.

A life I now get to live with my best friend and lover.

(1509 words)