the chase

Y/N POV:

Everything was going as planned, until we heard the sirens.

Now JJ and I have the cops on our tail and no way out, or so I thought.

"Get ready to jump," JJ tells me as he approaches the bed of Topper's truck.

"What?" I retort, wondering what on earth was going through his mind.

"You need to jump Y/N" his voice is laced with demand and worry alike. He didn't want anything to happen to me and being in the bed of the truck was much safer than on the back of his bike.

"I'm not leaving you Jay, we wil-"

"Pope she's jumping, help her" JJ interrupts me as he lines up with the truck

"What?! Are you crazy JJ" Pope yells over the siren

"Y/N go now" JJ turns his head to check on the cops following us. I turn my head to see that they are getting closer and closer. I know there is no point in arguing with him any more, it is just going to make the situation worse.

I start to get in position as Pope reaches his hands out to me, screaming for me to come on. I take one last look at JJ and make my move.

As soon as I am safe in the bed of the truck I hear tires screech and turn around to see JJ making his way toward the cops.

"What is he doing?" Sarah says from the cab. I don't have an answer for her because I honestly have no idea what that boy is thinking.

I feel like I am watching a movie, JJ picks up a rock and throws it at the cop car quickly grabbing their attention. The cops come to a halt and make their move to follow the boy who thinks that he can fix everything.

"No, no, no" I whisper under my breath as I hear Sarah pleading with Topper to turn around and follow the cops. Topper argues with her, until he finally gives in and makes the U-turn.

"Where is he going?" Kie says as JJ makes his way up an on-ramp to the bridge ahead of us.

What happens next feels like a scene from an action movie. Then suddenly I watch JJ's bike topple off the bridge as Topper's truck comes to a halt.

"Pope go" Kie yells as we all get out of the truck to examine the scene.

All I see is the remnants of JJ's most prized possession and no sight of the boy that brightens my world. The realization hits me as I realize that my JJ could be gone. I fall to my knees and stare at the wreckage in a state of shock. Tears begin to slip down my cheeks as I feel a hand on my shoulder. I didn't even look up to see who it was, because I knew that it wasn't the boy I love. His touch feels different.

Pope, Sarah, and Cleo are trying to make sense of everything that has just happened. Coming up with where JJ could possibly be.

Then I hear his voice..

"I wish I could say I did that on purpose" I turn around to see him actually standing before me, managing to have gotten by with just a few scraps.

"But that was the gnarliest powerslide I have ever done" before he can finish Pope engulfs him in a hug screaming "You're alive!"

Topper says something in the chaos as Sarah pushes JJ then pulls him into a hug.

"JJ you almost gave me a heart attack" Kie says as she helps me to my feet. That was when my eyes met his.

I let out a breath that I had realized I had held in. JJ moved closer to me, but before he could say anything the cops were yelling at us and we had to make a run for it.

JJ hopped in the cab of the truck and I purposely got back in the bed with Pope, Cleo, and Kie. There was no way that I could be near him right now.

He almost got himself killed, and I can't live with the possibility of losing him anymore. Anger, fear, and relief all flood my system as Topper gets us the hell out of there.

_____________________

I avoided JJ like the plague until we got back to the OBX. He knew that he was in deep shit with me and for his own good he gave me my space. That was until we walked into the chateau.

Everyone else had gone home, except for Sarah who just went straight to John B's room. She could sense that me and JJ needed to talk.

I however was not ready to face him. So I made my way into the bathroom to try and calm down. JJ followed me like a lost puppy until I slammed the door in his face.
"Sunshine?" JJ says from the other side of the door with defeat laced in his voice. The strings of my heart tug at the nickname. For years JJ had referred to me as sunshine, saying that I was the light in the darkness of his life.

If only he realized that he was the light in mine, and he almost cost me that tonight.

"Y/N please open the door," I can hear him lay his head on the door and I can almost see the look on his face. It's the same look when he comes over after a fight with his dad.

Part of me wants to make him suffer, but I need to feel his touch no matter how mad I am at him. I slowly open the door and JJ looks up meeting my gaze.

His voice cracks as he begins to apologize "I -"

I don't even let him start before my anger takes me in a different direction.

"What the hell did you think you were gonna do JJ? You antagonized the police and almost got yourself killed in the process! Does your life mean so little to you that you are willing to risk everything you have, to risk your life?"

"I was trying to save us" he argues back

"I don't care, how can you not understand that I can't live in a world without you in it? You keep risking your life in the name of the pogues, but do you know what that does to me, huh? You always say that I am the sunshine in your life. The light in the darkness. How would you feel if I was the one almost dying every week?"

"Y/N you don't understand -"

You're right I don't understand. I don't understand how you can be so reckless or how you can be so blind"

"Okay, reckless I deserve, but blind what the hell are you talking about?"

"How can you not see that you are the light in my life JJ. You are who I run to, who I depend on, the one person in this world who knows my every move, my every thought. I don't understand how you can be so blind to the fact that I am in love with you"

As soon as the words leave my lips I realize what I just did. I just admitted to my best friend that I was in love with him. And he just stares back at me.

"You, you what?" he stutters out

I took a deep breath realizing there was no taking it back.
"Jay" I take a step closer to him. Closing the distance in-between "I am so incredibly in love with you. You are the first thing I think about in the mor-" is all I can get out before his lips are on mine.

This kiss is different from anything I have ever experienced. It's sweet and sensual. He pulls me into his body and deepens the kiss. My arms instinctively rise to his neck and my fingers tangle in his hair.

It isn't until we are both gasping for air that we pull apart.

"I have waited my entire life to hear you say that" Jj whispers against my lips.

I lean in to kiss him again, this time it's short and sweet. I pull away and look up into his eyes.

"No more almost dying okay. Because I really can't lose you, not after knowing what a good kisser you are" causing JJ to throw his head back and let out a small laugh.

"I think I can make that happen" he smirks looking back down at my lips.

"I'm serious Jay, I can't lose you"

"You won't sunshine, you're stuck with me until your old and gray"

I giggle as I lay my head on his chest and he pulls my body into his. Only me and JJ would confess our feelings in the half-lit bathroom of the chateau.

But I wouldn't have it any other way.

(1498 words)