Protector

Y/n POV:

The boneyard is a staple living on the cut in the outer banks, the main place to host any type of party. That's where me and my friends are tonight, some kid threw a massive kegger, for what reason? Who knows, but it's free alcohol and we weren't going to pass that up.

We arrived a little after the party started. As soon as I got out of the car, JJ grabbed my hand and we walked down the beach together.

See me and JJ have been best friends for like ever, and ever since I can remember I have been in love with him. Not that he knows that, the only person who knows is John B because one day I got plastered and accidently spilled the beans.

Anyway, we make our way down the beach and immediately head to the keg. JJ grabbed me a beer and soon enough we were dancing in the sand.

Whenever I am with him it feels like time comes to a stop. He is honestly the best thing I have in my life, and that is the reason I refuse to tell him the truth. I can't risk losing him.

After about twenty minutes of dancing JJ excuses himself to go get another drink. I hated being left alone at parties, mostly because you never know who is there or what they are there to do.

I made my way to the side of the makeshift dancing floor, and silently stared off at the ocean. That's when I feel a pair of arms snake around my waist.

I immediately turn around and back away.

"What the hell?" I yelled.

"Awe come on y/n, it's just me" a visibly drunk Rafe slurred.

"Rafe go away, I am not interested okay" I said as I turned to walk down the beach away from the party.

I made the mistake of going on a date with Rafe last summer and ever since I have been trying to avoid him, plus recently he has been beating on my friends a lot.

I thought I was out of his reach, but I felt him grab my wrist and pull me into his body.

"Come on y/n I know that you want to go out with me again." He smirks, god even drunk he's cocky.

"Rafe I said no, now leave me alone" I jerked my hand out of his grasp.

Next thing I knew I was on the ground. I grab the side of my face and realize what happened, he hit me and he hit me hard.

"You know what fuck this, go run back to your shitty friends, your nothing but a bitch from the cut anyway" Drunken Rafe said once more before waling back toward the party.

I took another minute to registar what happened, then got up to walk back to the party.

I make my way back to the keg to see if I can find any of my friends, that's when I spot John B. He was chatting it up with Sarah. I could have looked for someone else, but he had the keys to the car and would be my easiest chance of getting out of here quickly.

"John B" I said quietly as I approached, it was dark so I tried my best to hide the new cut on my face. He must not have heard me, so I lightly tap on his shoulder and he quickly turns around.

"Hey, y/n... woah what happened to your face?" Damn it, of course he would see, John B practically has night vision of something.

"Nothing" I lied "Can I have the keys I think I am going to sit and wait for y'all in the van" I said looking down at the ground.

"Not until you tell me what happened, I thought you were with JJ?" He questioned, while turning my face to look at the damage. I could see Sarah staring at me too.

"He went to go get another drink" I said "thenimighthaverunintorafe" I said quickly and quietly.

"Rafe did this?" Sarah asked concerned, some may think that she would not believe anything bad about her brother, but she hated him almost as much as us.

I shook my head yes, still looking at the ground. Then I explained everything that happened. I could feel the rage coming off of John B, he was looking around the party for Rafe.

"John B, please just leave it alone, I don't want to start anything tonight" I say then just by my luck I hear the one person's voice who definitely would not leave this alone.

"Leave what alone?" JJ asked as he appeared behind me, I didn't turn around, I just said "nothing, I am just leaving" and started walking toward the van.

Not before John B stood in front of me. "No you are not" He said, turning me around so that JJ could see.

I saw his face drop when he saw the cut and bruise forming "Y/n what the hell happened?" He questioned, before I could say anything John b told him everything I had just told them.

By the end JJ was fuming and before I could tell him to calm down and I was fine, he burst off into the crowd.

Soon enough I heard kids chanting "fight, fight, fight"

I quickly made my way down the beach to see JJ beating the shit out of Rafe. Which was not shocking, he has always protected me, that is one of the reasons I love him, He is my protector. 

"You ever touch my girl again, I swear to god Rafe you are not going to live to see another day" JJ threatened with a punch between each word.

I was scared that he was going to keep going, so I went to grab his arm. As if he knew it was me he instantly relaxed.

"JJ come on I want to go" I whispered. He dropped Rafe back onto the ground and slung his arm around my shoulder. We walked back to the van in silence. JOhn B and Sarah went to find Pope and Kie so we could leave.

As soon as we got to the van JJ started to inspect my face.

"I am so sorry y/n, I shouldn't have left you alone" He said quietly, I could see some tears pooling in his eyes.

I quickly wiped them away. "Hey, Jay it's okay, I am okay" I smiled at him.

"I just hate that he touched you" JJ said as he ran his hand over my bruised cheek, I leaned into his touch.

"You know I would do anything to protect you y/n, anything" He said, as much as I knew that it didn't stop me from wondering why

"Why" I asked, he looked at me confused, so i asked again "why do you care so much JJ?"

And like it was an instant response he blurted out "Because I'm in love with you"

"Your what?" I said in shock.

JJ took a deep breath reeling at the fact that he just told me that, then continued.

"Y/n I love you, and not in the your my best friend way, in the I think about you all the time, when I wake up, when I go to sleep. For as long as I can remember, I just wanted you, but I can't lose you so I kept it to myself. I don't want to hurt you and based on my families history it's bound to happen"

Before he could keep going, I leaned in and captured his lips in mine. He quickly returned the amount of passion I brought to the kiss.

As soon as we pulled away a smile crept on both of our faces.

"I love you too, JJ. and I didn't tell you for the exact same reasons, but don't you think for one second that you are going to be like your dad. You are the best person in the world, you are like this light in my life that keeps me from falling into darkness." I confess

With that JJ's lips are back on mine, and before we get the chance to pull apart, I hear faint clapping.

We pulled apart to see our friends basically cheering us on as they approached the car.

"About damn time" John B says, "It was getting annoying having to keep both of your secrets. I was getting ready to just spill the beans on you both" I guess JJ told John B about his feelings too.

We all burst out laughing and hopped into the car. I sat comfortable next to JJ leaning my head on his chest. I might have had a shitty start to the night, but now.

I'm on freaking cloud nine.

(1468 words)