How He Got the Girl

Do you ever wonder how you got to the place you're at?

Cuddled up in bed with my beautiful husband, all I could think about was the day he finally asked me out.

It felt like ages ago, we were just kids. Now we have been together 15 years, and things couldn't be better.

Flashback

"Y/n!" someone yelled as I walked up from the water. Just having finished a surf session.

I turned my head to see my blonde haired best friend, he was running toward me and I could help but smile.

"Hey JJ" I said as he finally reached me "I thought you were hanging with the boys today or I would have asked you to come, the waves were great"

"I was, but there is something I need to ask you" He looked and sounded like a nervous wreck, which only made me nervous. What did he have to ask me and why was he nervous.

"I um, okay, I was wondering, If you want, that umm maybe" He kept stumbling over his words.

"Just spit it out JJ" I giggled at his flustered state.

He let out a sigh as his deep blue eyes found mine.

"Doyouwannagoonadatewithme?" he spoke so fast and quietly I couldn't tell if I heard him right

"What?" I said confused at what he was trying to ask, cause there was no way that I heard him right. My best friend who I was totally in love with asked me out, no way.

The look on his face seemed so defeated, I guess he thought that was me saying no "Nevermind, forget it. I'm just gonna umm go"

He turned to walk away but I dropped my board and grabbed his arm turning him around.

"JJ, ask me again, but slower" I say putting my hand on the side of his face so he would look at me.

"Y/n" He sighed, finally met my eyes again, seeing the smile on my face.

"Will you go out with me? Like a date?" he said slower and a bit more confident this time.

I didn't even respond, I just leaned in and drew his lips to mine. As soon as we pulled apart i knew there was never going to be another man I wanted to kiss for the rest of my life

End flashback

"What ya thinking about babe" my husband said pulling me closer into him.

"Just about when you asked me out" I say curling into him more

His eyes pop open as he remembers how terribly it went.

"I was a mess," he says, dropping his head into the back of my neck.

"Yeah, you were. But at least you ended up being my mess" I smile and kiss his cheek.

His head pops back up and his lips find mine. "I wouldn't have it any other way"

(470 words)