International Hope! Arc - 22

Makoto,

Every day I feel more ill. A deep poison building in my stomach and coating my throat. I'd rather die and have you safe than have this horrible sense of despair. And people who managed to not be part of the attack, they are investigating this all. We know that the remnants of despair were there-that they launched this whole thing, but who was their rallying force? I recall you saying that you were looking into people believing they would be the next Junko Enoshima, and this just further puts me in distress. There have been rumors though. That this has to do with someone related to our class 78. We have been in contact with surviving relatives of our peers, and we wonder if our communications weren't as discreet as they were supposed to be. If someone so vengeful decided to take it out on the survivors of Hope's Peak and do something like this. I am hoping that the threat isn't so immense that you are hurt right now. The last thing I want is for you to be suffering.

Before I go to sleep each night, I toss and turn, and try to soothe myself with the memories that bring fondness to my cheeks. Like when we stepped out of Hope's Peak together, with the rest of our friends. We were all looking forward to the future, and we had all been so relieved to be free. I remember your smile, the words you said, and how you had been the one to push the button that opened the door of the school. I remember you saying there had to be a lot of hope in the world. You really didn't say all that much else right before the door opened-but there was this look on your face. Your eyes were so wide, not in the alarmed kind of way. I'm not sure if I can properly explain this-I just remember the brightness you had. And I remember my own words-arrogant as always. But you hadn't seemed to mind. I can't understand it. How you let me speak to you like that for so long. With the way I am, I doubt there's any shred of affection like the kind I have for you. Since I'm not particularly kind or caring as you are.

Reading this back over I am realizing just how flustered my mind is. I was meaning to talk about the good memories we have shared. Like when we spent our first night together at the Future Foundation headquarters, where we knew we were safe. It was such a different sense of sleep than at the Academy. Hiro was snoring-it kept us both up for a while, remember? And we were whispering to each other, I can't remember the whole of it but I remember smiling into the darkness at your words. It was so peaceful, wasn't it? I hope we can have a time like that again. Well, with the exception of the snoring. Look, I'm trying to be funny now. I know I'm not.

Now that I have thoroughly confused myself with writing this, I think I should end the letter. But writing it almost feels like I'm in contact with you, so I'm hesitant to stop. But, I'm still so tired, and tomorrow I will be leaving the Academy, this time without your company. You were supposed to be here to restore this place with me. As great as I am, I know I can't do this without you. So, you need to come back safe. Come back.

Always, Byakuya